UNESCO World Heritage Sites


Joki-Krann belonged to Sundberg in 1756. In 1800, Gustaf Grönstén, a chaplain, owned plot No 222. He also had a cabbage plot and a barn the size of a chapel field.

Modification drafts

In 1911, Arvi Leikari drew up a modification drawing, according to which the buildings on the plot have been given new façade cladding. The residential building facing the west street was lined so that the lower part was vertically boarded and the attic part horizontally boarded. The framing of the T-shaped windows was simple and Art Nouveau. The side of the outbuilding along the river was designed with false windows. The building was vertically boarded. The upper part of the gateway to the property echoed the same themes as the window lining. The gates were closed at the bottom and latticed at the top. The drawing also shows that the dwelling had two apartments. One was a semi-detached house with a large baking oven in the dormer, and the other was a separate room. Both entrances were fronted by a boarded porch. The other outbuilding on the site was located at right angles to the dwelling. One of its rooms extended up to the roofline and had a window similar to that of the dwelling. The outbuilding along the river had four rooms made of logs. It still had a toilet on the side, which was replaced during the renovation.

In 1937, the baking oven in the south end of the dwelling was replaced by a conventional kitchen stove. The stove was replaced by a heating oven in 1955. The kitchen was moved to a smaller room in the front hall, where a kitchen stove was installed. The kitchen was also fitted with a water supply and a sink. In the hallway, a small toilet was built. In the 1970s, renovations were carried out. The entire roof of the house had already been used for residential purposes. Now the building’s rooms were combined into a single apartment. The toilet, which had previously been in the hallway, was moved to the porch. A small porch with a separate room was demolished. The outbuilding, which was connected to the residential building, no longer existed, and part of the outbuilding along the river was demolished. A sauna and carport were added to the remainder. The courtyard façade of the outbuilding was simplified by removing the mouldings and reducing the number of openings.

Current situation

Residential building
Short-cornered residential building, vertical boarded, pitched roof. The building’s panelling and Art Nouveau window frames are based on a design by Arvi Leikari in 1911.

Outdoor building
Short-cornered outbuilding, cladding

Outdoor building
Exterior building with horizontal boarding.