UNESCO World Heritage Sites


Antín was the owner of the Anttiin plot in 1756. In 1800 the owner was the bourgeois Matti Antin. He owned a field and a boathouse, as well as shares in a ship.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1858 by the bourgeois G. H. Grönqvist. The main building was located along Pappilankatu. It was built of new logs in 1858, in good condition, without boards or paint. The roof was of German roofing tile. There were six six-sash windows and four two-sash attic windows. The entrance was connected to a boarded porch with three triple-paned windows. The building had a hall, two chambers, a kitchen and a hallway. Four of the doors were semi-transparent mirrored doors, and there was another French door. The outer door was a double board door. The tiled stoves were one square and two round, with yellow glazing. There was also a kitchen fireplace with a stove.

The second building was located on the northern boundary of the plot. It was an old log building and in moderate condition. It had a bakery and chamber, a sauna, two hallways, a barn and a wood shed. An outbuilding is also mentioned on the western boundary of the plot. It was of log construction and had two barns. These buildings were not insured.

Later, a new insurance policy was taken out. The owner of the house had not changed. The main building was painted with red water paint. The outbuildings were also insured. The building on the north side of the property was also painted red. The third building was still unpainted. It was reported to be a storeroom and a barn.

Modification drafts

There is a drawing from 1893 of a small shed with a pulpit roof, which they wanted to keep in place. The house is owned by H. W. Blomqvist, a sailor.

The modification drawing by Arvi Leikari dates from 1912. According to it, the intention was to extend the southern residential building along the street with a courtyard wing, which would include a room and kitchen and a separate kitchen entrance. The old kitchen was converted into a closet. The building on the southern boundary of the site was to have additional living space. The sauna stove was demolished and the sauna became the kitchen. The bakery was moved to a new part at the back of the yard. Next to the oven in the baking oven was the sauna stove and a built in cauldron. Several walls were moved in connection with the alterations. The toilets were moved to an extension of the sauna building, whereas previously they had been in a separate building at the end of the building at right angles, surrounded by a fenced open enclosure. The exterior building was of the same design as in the 1890s. The plank shed was also in place.

In 1919, it was decided to make a street door in the building on the south side of the Anttiin and to convert two chambers into a kitchen. On the courtyard side, it was proposed to demolish the wing on the kitchen and porch side of the previous plan. It is likely that the entire wing had never been constructed, but changes had to be made to the previous approved drawings. Possibly the changes were only being made now, or the wing had been made shorter than intended.

There is a 1984 plan for alterations to the building on the northern boundary of the plot. Instead of the former two apartments, the building became one apartment. The existing sauna in the building was renovated and the outbuilding at the eastern end was replaced by a garage instead of toilets. In 1994, a plan was drawn up to replace the garage with a goldsmith’s workshop. In the same year, the need arose to use the shed in the outbuilding as a café in the summer.

In 1977, the building facing Vähäpoikkikatu was converted. The premises had previously housed a bakery and pastry shop, but were now converted into a single office space.

Current situation

South-facing residential building
Short-cornered residential building from 1858, Art Nouveau lining 1912 (Arvi Leikari), hipped roof, pitched roof

Northern side
Short-cornered residential building, exterior design 1912 (Arvi Leikari), hipped roof

Outbuilding at the back of the yard
Exterior horizontal boarded building

Outbuilding as an extension to a residential building
Outbuilding, part brick, part vertical boarded

New gate in old style.