UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the Enwalla plot was owned by Bergstén’s widow. In 1800, plot 48 was owned by the contract dean Sacklenius.

Modification drafts

The modification drawing by Arvi Forsman dates from 1900. It concerns the building at the side of the plot and the north-south building in the middle of the plot. There is also one east-west facing building and a building on the northern boundary of the plot. The residential building along the street was made up of sections of different ages and widths, but now the building was extended to become one long, wide building. The building had two kitchens, three entrances and seven heated living rooms of varying sizes. A kitchen and chamber were added to the north end of the long, north-south facing building and two porches were added to the courtyard side. The street-side building has a three-part Neo-Renaissance lining and four-light windows, framed by mouldings with both fretwork and carved decorations and turned knobs. The facades of the long, narrow dwelling are vertically boarded. The framing of the windows is simpler than in the street-side building.

In 1904, the long building underwent a fireplace conversion, which created a kitchen in one of the chambers, and at the same time a new apartment. In 1907, there is a plan to extend the street-side building with a room, kitchen and hallway. In 1912, a small extension was made to the south façade of the building in the centre of the plot, adding a kitchen to the hallway of the semi-detached part of the building. A small porch was added in front of the kitchen. The outbuilding at the back of the courtyard was extended. Isak Hj. Jokinen designed the Art Nouveau moulding of the windows and doors of the outbuilding.

In 1980, the east-west facing residential building in the middle of the plot and the outbuilding at the rear of the plot were demolished. A new detached house was built on the site. The plans were drawn up by Eero O. Kari.

In 1997, a thorough renovation of the building on the street was started. The street-side building became one apartment. A new outbuilding was built in the courtyard to house a sauna, a boiler room and storage facilities. The plans were drawn up by architect Timo Tuomola.

Current situation

Street side building
Short-cornered residential building, saddle roof, neo-renaissance lining on the street side (Arvi Forsman 1900), the building was extended in 1907.

Residential building in the yard
Short- and long-cornered, pitched-roofed residential building, extended 1900.

Outdoor building
New building from the 1990s

Residential building at the back of the yard
New building from the 1980s