UNESCO World Heritage Sites


According to the 1756 tax list, the land of Suka was owned by Tibiander. In 1800, plots 177 and 178 belonged to the patron Erik Frandén and the barrel maker Joh. Sandsrtöm. Both were poor.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing from 1893, which shows that the plot had building lines on the side of Pappilankatu and on the side of Kallivahe. There was also a building on the western boundary of the plot. Now the plan was to add a porch to the building on the Kallivahe side, an extension of the porch to the building on the Pappilankatu side and a new outbuilding on the north side of the courtyard. An alteration drawing by Arvi Forsman, dated 1901, was drawn up for the eastern side of the buildings facing the Kallivahe. The semi-detached building had a room and another room the width of the building, as well as a hallway and a small antechamber. Now they wanted to remove the wall between the hallway and the hall chamber to make more room in the room. A porch was built on the courtyard side. An attic section was also added to the building. It was given vertical planking and T-shaped windows with Neo-Renaissance-style moulding around the perimeter.

In 1902, there is an alteration drawing by Arvi Forsman for a residential building on the corner of Pappilankatu. The second large room of the semi-detached building was to be converted into a shop and a door was opened into the corner of the building. The wall panelling was vertical plywood, which ended up being a scribble pattern. The panelling of the T-pane windows was in the neo-renaissance style. There was a high gate on the side of the Kallivahe and two other residential buildings on the lot. The outbuildings were on the west and north sides of the property.

In 1906, Leonard Ahti drew an alteration drawing for the extension of the building on the side of Pappilankatu with a small chamber on the courtyard side. When one window was obscured by the additional construction, two windows were added to the roof side of the room instead of one. There was still a kitchen with a baking oven and a room with a corner door and access from the street side. On the courtyard side was a boarded porch with two separate entrances. There were two successive dwellings on the boundary of the plot on the Kallivahe side. There were also outbuildings on the western and northern boundaries. A larger toilet was to be built on the side of the outbuilding on the western boundary.

Of the buildings facing the cliff, the building on the east side was altered in 1911. The plan was drawn up by L. Ahti. The modification involved changing the porch on the courtyard side to a small kitchen and one entrance instead of two. In 1913, Arvi Leikari drew a modification drawing for the building on the west side of the Kallivahe. It was to be raised and fitted with a new stone base. The building was already vertically planked and now had T-pane windows framed by modest Art Nouveau mouldings.

In 1936, the plot, as well as some of the neighbouring plots, was connected to the water mains. The main line running along Vanhankirkonkatu was simultaneously connected to plot 177, owned by Eeva Kaivolahti, Kustaa Vermonen and Juho Viik. Plot 178, owned by Olga Keskinen, and plot 179, owned by Samuel Grönholm, were also connected at the same time. Plot 180, owned by Arvo Lehtinen, plot 181, owned by Kustaa Jalonen, and plot 183, owned by Ellen Leskinen, were also connected to the mains at the same time. Only some of the residential buildings had water brought inside. Not all the buildings in the block were supplied with water at the same time.

In 1978, washrooms were built in the apartments on the Kallivanhe side. One was combined with a toilet and shower room and the other with a sauna. In 1985, washrooms were added to the building on Pappilankatu. They were placed on the porch, which was thermally insulated. A warm storage room was built in the attic. The north end of the outbuilding, which belonged to the same owner as the residential building on the side of Pappilankatu, was converted into a sauna in 1989.

Current situation

Building parallel to Pappilankatu
Short-cornered residential building, neo-renaissance lining, saddle roof. The exterior dates from 1906 (Arvi Forsman).

Eastern residential building on the Kallivahe side
Long-cornered dwelling, raised, gabled roof, modest neo-renaissance style, alteration drawing 1901 (Arvi Forsman).

Western residential building on the Kallivahe side
Long-cornered dwelling, pantile lining, enlarged windows, modest neo-renaissance styling

Outdoor building
Exterior building made of board