UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the Joki-Kranni belonged to Sundberg. In 1800, plot 235 was owned by the patron Erik Grönholm.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out by the sailor E. Kordelin in 1864. There was one building on the site, which formed a corner between Pappilankatu and the riverbank. The building was recently built, painted in red paint and in good condition. The roof was made of boards. There were six rooms: two halls, two chambers, a baking room and a kitchen.

Modification drafts

In 1907, Arvi Leikari drew up a plan for altering the buildings on the site. The plan was to divide the old room into a hall and a kitchen and to move the baking oven. The porch was to be slightly extended, as was the small outbuilding. The residential building was to be rendered with vertical boarding and the T-pane windows framed with a discreet Neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau-inspired lining.

It is not known whether even the distribution of the baking area took place at this stage. The next alteration drawing of the site dates from 1910 and is by Leonard Ahd. The residential building was altered to add one more apartment. The apartments after the alteration included a kitchen and room with a baking oven, two small kitchen and room apartments, and a separate room with its own entrance, as with all the apartments. The facades of the building were given a new look during the renovation. The walls were lined with horizontal boarding, while the attic section was vertically boarded. The T-shaped windows are surrounded by simple Art Nouveau-style panelling. The exterior was apparently completely rebuilt.

The apartments underwent minor alterations in 1949, when at least one apartment was fitted with a toilet, and in 1968, when a separate room and two other apartments were combined and the apartments were modernised. One apartment now had a bathroom with a bath, the other a separate toilet and shower room. The stoves were dismantled, but a fireplace was added to the living room of the larger apartment. The ceiling was lowered. In 1972, a sauna was built in the outbuilding and the latrine was removed and the barn became a storeroom. The outbuilding was lined with simple vertical boarding. Only two new doors and two narrow windows remained on the façade.

In 1996, the residential building was renovated and modified. The premises were combined into one apartment and equipped with modern washroom and kitchen facilities. A new canopy was also built in the courtyard. A year earlier, a new, old-style gate had been planned for the site.

Current situation

Residential building
Short-cornered residential building from the mid-19th century, horizontal timber-framed, saddle roof. The Jugend-inspired layout follows a design by Leonard Ahd in 1910.

Outdoor building
The outbuilding probably dates from 1910.

An old-style gate.