UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 there were three plots of land in Heikklä or Heikkala. Ström owned Heikkala, Bergman owned Vähä-Heikkala and Franck owned Iso-Heikkala. In 1800, plot 57 went by the name of Lammi. It was owned by the bourgeois dowager Susanna Brunberg, plot 58 was owned by the bourgeois Erik Halin. Anders Lundmark, the town fisherman, also lived in the house. Brunberg and Halin both had about a barrel of arable land, plus half a reef and one or two barns. All were considered poor for tax purposes.

Fire insurance

The first fire insurance policy was taken out in 1847 by merchant C. A. Paqvalin. At that time there were seven buildings on the site. The main building was on Kuninkaankatu and the second building, with living quarters, ran along the whole length of the Itäkatu side of the plot. On the eastern boundary of the plot was a building which was also attached to the main building and three smaller buildings attached to it. There was a further building on the northern edge of the plot.

The main building was built in 1824 and planked in 1842 and oil painted on three sides, the fourth side was painted in red paint. The roof was Holstein tile. The building had seven rooms: an entrance hall, a hall and five chambers. There was also a porch with walls of punched board. The porch had two windows and a semicircular window above the door. The porch was oil-painted. The building had 10 six-paned windows and five attic windows. The entrance hall door was a semi-transomed double door with a glass top. There were seven semi-transomed partition doors. The attic stairs led up from a cupboard with two board doors. There was also another cupboard with board doors. Six of the rooms had paper wallpaper. Two of the fireplaces were square, brown-glazed tiles and four were round, also brown-glazed tiles. There were two chimneys for the six stoves.

The building facing Itäkatu dates partly from 1824 and partly from 1844. The side facing Itäkatu was planked and painted red. The building had two doorways, two entrance halls, five chambers, a baker’s room and a sleeping room with a mezzanine. The building had three staircases, one of which was possibly a porch. There were seven four-paned, square windows. Three of these had double windows. The gates were double boarded and had a small doorway. The gates were painted with green oil paint. There were five intermediate doors and they were half French. The building had one closet with doors. Two of the fireplaces were square and two round, with brown-tiled tiled stoves and two brick tiled stoves. There was also a baking oven with a stove and a baking oven. There were four chimneys.

Of the buildings on the eastern boundary, the kitchen building was attached to the main building. The kitchen was built of new materials in 1844. It was unplanked and painted in red paint. The kitchen had an oven stove and a cast-iron stove. The building had a tiled roof and a stone cellar underneath. There were two square windows and they were half French windows. The next building was a wooden barn, made of board and batten. The other building was also a wooden carriage house made of plank. Both were painted with red clay paint. In the northernmost row was an old log building in fair condition. The building was unplanked and painted with red clay paint. It was a brewery. In addition to the brewing room, the building had a lobby. There were two small square windows and two doors. The fireplace was the brewhouse oven.

The outbuilding on the northern boundary of the plot was erected in 1842. It was in good condition and painted with red clay paint. There were stables, a barn, a shed and a chalet.

In 1884, a new evaluation was carried out, as the main building and the adjacent building on Itäkatu had undergone alterations and repairs. There had been several years of alterations, the last in 1883. The whole building was now planked and painted with oil paint. The building had been raised and had a new water roof and felt roof. The rooms had new tiled stoves, all the doors and windows, floors, wallpaper, etc. had been redone.

The building on Itäkatu had been extended and renovated. It had been panelled and painted with oil paint. The roof was made of planks. The building, situated mainly on the Kuninkaankatu side, had a covered gateway, followed by six rooms: two halls, a chamber, a dining room, a pantry, a kitchen and a boarded porch. There were four tiled stoves and a kitchen stove with a masonry iron stove. The rooms had been raised and had new porcelain tiled stoves and a kitchen stove, also porcelain tiled, new doors, windows, floors and wallpaper.

The row of buildings on Itäkatu was cut off, apparently at the second gate, and the northern part formed a separate building. It was boarded up and painted in red, with a tiled roof, and the condition of the building was reported to be fair. The building had two chambers, a baker’s room, a laundry room and an entrance hall. The fireplaces were two tiled ovens, a washroom oven and a baking oven with a small masonry fireplace.

The kitchen building on the eastern boundary of the property was boarded up only on the courtyard side, painted red and with a tiled roof. Under the building were two vaulted stone cellars. The rooms were now a dining room, kitchen and hall. The building had been renovated: the kitchen stove was new, the tiled ovens were new, the doors and windows and the wallpaper had also been replaced. The building, consisting of two sheds, both of which had previously been insured separately, had not changed. It had been extended by a new log outbuilding in 1842. It was painted red and had a wooden roof. The building contained a stable, a barn, a shed and a chalet. There was also a separate toilet block on the site, which was boarded and painted red. The gates of the property were also insured.

The outbuilding at the back of the courtyard had been altered in the summer of 1883 so that it now had two mezzanine dormitories. The building was painted with red clay paint and had a boarded roof.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing of the plot from 1884, when the fire insurance was renewed. The alteration concerns the wing of the residential building facing Itäkatu, which still housed the sleeping quarters. The intention was to convert it for residential use and to divide it into two rooms: a kitchen and a chamber. The drawing also shows a picture of the new street façade of part of the building. The planking is a wide horizontal board, the window framing is classical and there are low attic windows above the windows. The fenestration of the windows is shown summarily with only one vertical line. These may be double-paned windows, but also, for example, four- or six-paned windows.

All rooms are named on the floor plan. There is a large hall on the Kuninkaankatu side, which extends through the house, with two chambers on one side and then on the other side of the street a small chamber and then a room. On the courtyard side there is an entrance hall, or “tampuri”, and next to it a chamber. From the chamber there is access to the rooms of the wing on the Itäkatu side, the first of which is a fairly large room, followed by a hallway or tampuri extending through the house, with entrances from both the Itäkatu and the courtyard. Next is another large room, then a pantry and a new dining room and finally, at the end of the gate, a kitchen with its own entrance. The room on the eastern edge of the building is accessed from the chamber of the street-side building and is first the dining room, then the kitchen and the last room in the living area is the hallway with a door from the courtyard. This is followed by a narrower section of the exterior building with a wooden shed and chalet and then a wider section with a hallway and laundry room.

A separate dwelling on the side of Itäkatu is a semi-detached house with a large baking room at the gate, then a hall and a front room and another large room in the semi-detached house with a small sauna behind it. The outbuilding on the northern boundary of the site has a stable, hayloft, chalk and barn from the western end.

There is a modification drawing from 1889 for a separate building along Itäkatu. The building has a tripartite neo-renaissance lining, T-shaped windows and frames around them with neo-renaissance motifs, including a leaf-sawn upper beam. Inside the building, fireplace modifications were made and the location of one partition wall was changed.

There is a modification drawing of the plot from 1893, drawn up by John Fred. Lindegren. A porch-like addition was made between the wings of the building with two small kitchens and an entrance. The entrance porch provided access to both the kitchens and the old tampur. A small chamber on the street side was also connected to it, and an external door was made on the street side. This gave the building on Kuninkaankatu a similar front room that extended through the house as the building on Itäkatu. The old dining room in the east wing was also converted into a kitchen. The rooms were still connected to each other, so the exact division into apartments cannot be determined. However, the increase in the number of kitchens indicates that the number of dormitories increased. The building had horizontal planking and classical window mouldings, as shown on the plans. The Kuninkaankatu side had double-hung windows and a paned mirrored door as the roof entrance door. The other windows were six-paned, and the windows on the lower wing of the building on the eastern edge of the plot were smaller than elsewhere. The wing was also missing an attic floor and its windows. On the east side, on the side of the stake, was the entrance to the shop, with a high staircase.

The outbuilding on the northern side of the plot was to be replaced. The building would have a dormitory to the west, then a stable, a two-stall toilet and a barn. The building would be vertically planked and the windows would be diagonal.

The next modification drawing dates from 1902 and was made by Arvi Forsman. Another kitchen was added to the wing on the Itäkatu side of the residential building. A part of the pass-through hallway was added. The end facing the street remained a hallway. The street façades of the building were given a new look, a restrained neo-renaissance look. The cladding was tripartite and the windows are shown as T-pane. The façade changes were carried out on the Kuninkaankatu and Itäkatu sides, but the part of the façade remained unchanged.

In 1939, one of the kitchens in the building was plumbed for water. A water post was installed on the courtyard side.

Current situation

Residential building along Kuninkaankatu
Long-cornered residential building, built in 1824 and 1844, street facades redecorated in 1902 (Arvi Forsman), courtyard facade with grooved horizontal planking similar to that in John F. Lindegren’s 1893 plan, saddle roof

Residential building along Itäkatu
Short-cornered residential building from 1844, neo-renaissance lining, saddle roof

Outbuilding on the northern edge of the plot
Masonry outbuilding dating from 1842, pitched roof

Outbuilding on the eastern boundary of the plot
Short-cornered outbuilding from the beginning of the 19th century, clapboard lined

An old gate, of the type used in the early 1900s.