UNESCO World Heritage Sites


According to the annex to the 1756 map, the house was owned by Mannelin. In the 1800 tax list, the owner was the bourgeois Gabriel Morin, who owned a field, a granary, a portion of a barn and a stable.

Modification drafts

The oldest modification drawing of the house dates back to 1899 and was drawn by Arvi Forsman. The plan shows that the buildings were in roughly the same places as they are today. The main building had been shorter than the present one before the alteration, and there had also been a square building on the street. There had also been another small building in the northern part of the courtyard, which was to be demolished, along with a small building on the roadside. The main building already had two large halls on the street side, with a hallway and two small chambers between them. There was also a diagonal chamber at the east end of the building and an additional kitchen at the courtyard end. In the centre of the building was a porch. At the western end, the building was extended by a section slightly wider than the rest of the building, to form a kitchen, hall and pantry. This extension resulted in the demolition of the other street-side building and the replacement of the gateway. In addition, a new entrance was added to the courtyard porch. A small porch was also built at the entrance to the kitchen on the courtyard side. A new entrance was added in the middle of the street frontage. Some of the partition walls were repositioned and the fireplaces were replaced There were three kitchens after the change. The building also received new panelling, the current lattice-work neo-renaissance style. The façade was extended by a gateway in the same theme. The plan also includes a plan for the renovation of the exterior of the building. The building was to include a front stable or barn, a sleeping car, a latrine, a dung heap and a board shed.

The modification drawing for the residential building in the courtyard dates from 1904. It is also by Arvi Forsman. The building contained a bakehouse, sauna and storeroom. It was decided to do away with the stove attached to the oven in the bakehouse. They wanted to divide the room into a kitchen and a pantry. A plank porch was built on the side of the building. In 1921, the baking oven was demolished and replaced by a smaller wood-burning stove. The storage room was converted into a kitchen, so that the building could be used as two separate dwellings.

In 1912, the kitchen on the courtyard side of the main building was extended and the street door was changed from a double door to a single door. The window near it was converted into a tall and narrow display window. In 1918, a second roof entrance was added to the main building on the east side of the façade. In 1920, a display window was opened next to the door. In 1936, a garage was added to the outbuilding at the back of the courtyard.

In 1974 a small toilet was added to the porch of the outbuilding, the old kitchen was divided into a kitchen and a pantry. One half of the original baking room now became a pantry and the original hallway, which had last been a pantry, became part of the new living room after the partition was removed. The ovens were discarded.

The street-side building had also been altered over the years and in 1967 a sauna was built in the kitchen extension on the side of the courtyard. Renovations were again carried out in 1978. The building was used as a hairdressing salon and beauty salon. It also had one apartment and a sauna. On the street façade, the two shop windows near the west end were reduced in size. Inside, furnaces were demolished and the washrooms and kitchens were renovated.

In 1992, the gate and fence were replaced to the old style. The plans were drawn up by Markus Bernoulli.

Current situation

Street-side residential building
Short-cornered residential building, western part in 1899, then lined in neo-renaissance style (Arvi Forsman), saddle roof, display windows

Residential building in the courtyard
Short-cornered residential building, neo-renaissance lining, porch in 1904 (Arvi Forsman)

Brick cellar and basement roof made of logs

Outdoor building
External building made of logs and boards

Restored to the old type in 1899 (Leikari 1899).