UNESCO World Heritage Sites


The plot of land at Iso-Taari belonged to Tarelli in 1756. In 1800 the plot belonged to the bourgeois And. Nylund. He also owned more than a barrel of arable land, three acres of meadows, one and a half reefs, a barn, a food shed, two beach fences and two loading docks.

Fire insurance

The house insurance dates back to 1885. The house was then owned by John Helin, a sailor. There were three buildings on the plot, a residential building on the Itäkatu side, an outbuilding on the western side of the plot. The woodshed was on the south side of the property, attached to the outbuilding. The main building is described by the fire insurance as being of ‘later date’, boarded up and painted with oil paint. The building had a shingle roof. There were six rooms: two halls, two chambers, a kitchen, a hall and a plank entrance porch.

According to the fire insurance, the outbuilding was not very old either. It was partially boarded up and painted with red clay paint. The roof was wattle and daub. The building contained a baking room, a dormitory with an attic, a barn with a hayloft, a manure shed, two latrines and a chalkpit. The wood shelter was boarded and partly wall-less. The gate, with a small access gate, was also insured, as was the fence on the property, which was painted with red clay paint.

Modification drafts

The façade of the main building was given a neo-renaissance look in 1893, when the house was owned by the sailor Johan Helin. The design was created by John Fredr. Lindegren. The building’s previous very low, six-paned windows were replaced by taller double-hung windows. The windows were framed with grand neo-renaissance stucco. The lining of the building was apparently left as it was: it was a panelling of brickwork ending in a scribbled edge. The rooms in the building consisted of a hall and three chambers on the street side and a kitchen and hallway on the courtyard side. The furnaces in the two chambers were moved from the long side of the room to the corner, where they would take up less space. There is also a drawing from the same year for the entrance to be added on the street side, with a porch attached. The doorway window bore the name of the owner of the house, J. Helin. The drawing also shows a plan for a new gate. It has a closed drive gate ending in a triangular top and an adjacent closed access gate. In the same year, the plan was to add a small canopy with a trellis to the front of the outbuilding on the west side of the property. On the southern boundary of the plot, two small boardwalks and a canopy were to be built.

In 1976, a sauna was planned for the outbuilding, on the site of the old latrine, where the sauna itself would have been on the second floor, like the latrine, and below it, on the site of the old hold, would have been a swimming pool. The plan never came to fruition.

Current situation

Residential building
A long-cornered residential building, probably from the 1700s, with a pantile lining, handsome neo-renaissance window frames from 1893, when the low, six-paned windows were also replaced by taller, double-hung windows (John F. Lindegren), gable roof

Outdoor building
Long-cornered outbuilding, partly boarded, with classical door and window frames. Suffered a fire in 1997, but repaired.

Manhole structure, panelled, classical decorations

Neo-Renaissance gate from 1893.