UNESCO World Heritage Sites


Two Tolvase plots are mentioned in the annex to the 1756 land map. One was owned by Henrik Ståhl and the other by Grönlund’s heirs. In 1800, plot 239 was owned by Johan Reilander. He had more than four barrels of arable land, a meadow, a food shed, a waterfront loading dock, a reef, a shed and a barn and a half share in a tool shed. As owner of the Lapin sawmill, he held a sixth interest.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1847 by a customs officer, Baron R. W. Stjerncreutz. On the corner of Kuninkaankatu and Pappilankatu, there was an angular residential building and, as an extension, a narrower, angular residential and outbuilding, partly on the western side of the plot facing Pappilankatu and partly on the northern boundary. In this context, there was a small part of a building attached at one end to a small outbuilding in the middle of the plot. The eastern part of the plot was a garden.

The main building was a recently erected log building, boarded up and painted with oil paint. It had rooms for a steward, a hall and six chambers. The roof was made of boards. Under the building was a vaulted cellar. In front of the entrance was a boarded porch with two nine-paned windows and a simple boarded door. The porch was painted with oil paint both inside and out. Six of the windows in the building were six-paned. There were also four similar but slightly smaller windows, perhaps in the row facing the vicarage. Two half windows are mentioned separately. There were three windows in the attic. Of the intermediate doors, six were full transom double doors and five were simple half-transom. Four rooms had French wallpaper and the ceiling was papered, the rooms had skirting boards and cornices. Two of the ovens were square and glazed white, one was a square tiled oven painted with oil paint, three were round and unglazed and one was a yellow glazed round oven.

The dwelling and outbuilding in the northern part of the plot was partly of log, partly of plank, and built in 1845. The building was unplanked and painted in red brick. The building had a pitched roof. The rooms included a baking room, a sauna, two chambers, a stable, a barn, a shed, a dormitory and a latrine. The building had five windows. The fireplaces were a brick tiled oven, a baking oven and a sauna oven with an attached masonry hearth. A small outbuilding in the middle of the plot was a log carriage house standing on corner stones. It was painted in red. Between this building and the long row of outbuildings was a wooden carriage house with a boarded roof. A fence and a drive gate were also insured, which was mirrored and oil-painted.

In 1857, the insurance company had been informed that an extension had been built on the northern boundary of the plot, in the garden area. It was probably an outbuilding and was in the same row as the old outbuilding row.

Modification drafts

In 1899, Arvi Forsman drew a modification drawing concerning the fireplace changes and the entrance opening from Pappilankatu. The drawing shows that there is a residential building on the plot, one side of which is on Kuninkaankatu and the other on Pappilankatu. On the Pappilankatu side, the building continues with an outbuilding that extends to the northern boundary of the plot. On the Kuninkaankatu side there are four residential rooms on the roof side. Along Koulukatu there are two chambers on the street side and a chamber and hallway on the courtyard side. There is a large porch at the corner of the building. Now they wanted to convert the chamber on the courtyard side into a kitchen and equip the hallway with a heating oven. The building continues with a narrow hallway with access from the courtyard side, and now this was also done on the roof side. Up to this point the building is tall, but the next section is lower: first there is one room with a narrower frame depth than the southern part of the building. This room is followed by an even narrower section containing a chamber and a baking room. This is followed by an outbuilding section. The facades are shown only at the alteration, but the taller section is horizontally boarded up and has a six-paned window surmounted by a two-paned attic window. The lower section is horizontal boarded but the attic windows are missing. The windows have classical panelling. The roof of the building is brick. In 1904, the bakery oven was replaced.

There is an change drawing from 1932, which shows the changes made to the building on Kuninkaankatu. Central heating was added to the building. A boiler room was built in the basement. The ovens, except for the kitchen stove, were demolished. The premises along Kuninkaankatu were combined to create two commercial apartments. Between them was an office room serving the second shop, which was fitted with large windows similar to those on the entire façade. One of the apartments housed a Rauma wholesaler and the other a tailor’s shop. Behind the wholesaler was an office room attached to a flat in the building. The partitions were repositioned to create a kitchen in the apartment, with a servant’s alcove attached. Behind it was a children’s room. The office room gave access to the dining room of the dwelling and through it to the master bedroom. The façade of the wing is described as being horizontal boarded and the T-pane windows framed in simple classical panelling. The same dentil motif is repeated above the shop windows in the business wing. In 1933, alterations were being made to the other two buildings on the site. A small building on the northern boundary of the site, which had housed two chambers, was to be converted into a kitchen and chambers. In the part of the outbuilding facing Pappilankatu there was a bakehouse, a goods shed, a latrine and a barn, while in the wing on the northern boundary of the plot there were wood sheds. The building was boarded on the side facing the vicarage with a single vertical boarding.

Current situation

Building on Kuninkaankatu
Short-cornered residential building, partly commercial building, horizontal planking, display windows and classical look 1932 (Kaino Kari), hipped roof, display windows. Erected on its present site, probably in the 1840s, using logs and boards from the old building (the ceiling paintings in the museum hall, probably from the early 1700s, are from this house).

Building on the side of Pappilankatu
A wrought iron residential and outbuilding with original interiors, built in 1845.