UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the owner was a person named Bergman. In 1800, the house was owned by Erik Elming, a freeman and town treasurer. He also owned a field and meadow and a food shed outside the property.

Modification drafts

In 1907, Leonard Ahd drew a modification drawing for the bakery building in the courtyard and the outbuilding on the western boundary of the property. There was another residential building along the street. The side of the building containing the bakehouse and chamber was demolished and replaced with two rooms, one attached to the bakehouse and chamber dwelling, the other made into a separate apartment with a heating stove with a cooktop behind the hatches. The outbuilding was demolished and other rooms were renovated. The barn, privy and four sheds were added.

In 1914, Arvi Leikari designed an ornate fence for the plot, the boards of which were shaped at the top to leave small gaps in the fence.

In 1923, the building was extended with an attic floor. An end triangle was also added to the roof and a large attic window was added. The windows were changed from small six-paned to taller T-pane. The building is clad in clapboard siding and the windows are surrounded by understated Art Nouveau-style molding. The building had three chambers, a kitchen and two entrances.

In 1957, changes were made to both residential buildings. The building on the street side was also converted into attic space. The building became one apartment with three rooms and a kitchen downstairs and a hall with two rooms and a bathroom upstairs. The attic rooms were apparently restricted as to their use as living quarters, as the name ‘storage room’ was corrected on the drawings. In the second building, the spaces were combined to create two rooms, a kitchenette, a hall and a small toilet. Both buildings retain fireplaces.

In 1960, the exterior building was renovated. A boiler room, a sauna, a cellar and a two-car garage were planned. In 1963, a street-side residential conversion was proposed. The boiler room, oil tank and sauna are now to be located in the residential building. At the same time, a concrete foundation was added to part of the building.

Current situation

Residential building along the street
Short-cornered residential building, probably from the 1700s, vertical planking, exterior from 1923 (Maurus Isaksson), saddle roof

Residential building in the yard
Short-cornered residential building, neo-renaissance lining

Outdoor building
New garage in 1960, covered with bevelled siding.