UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1800, the owner was the bourgeois dowager Briitta Reilander. She had a small field and a cottage on the beach. She was considered poor

Modification drafts

The oldest modification drawing of the buildings dates back to 1888. The residential building along Vähämalminkatu had two sections of different widths, which were also separate dwellings. The narrow east-facing section was a semi-detached house with a kitchen in the central room. At the western end of the building were two slightly wider rooms, one of which was a baking room and the other a living room. The entrance to both parts was a plank porch. At the east end of the building was another small plank door with a pulpit roof. The cladding was vertical board and the six-paned windows had classical frames. The building had no attic windows or boarded attic section, but the logs continued up to the eaves. There were three separate buildings in the northern part of the plot, a small latrine on the western boundary, a barn and stable building in the centre and a timber-framed timber-framed building in the eastern corner.

A plan by Arvi Forsman from 1906 shows that the living quarters would have been extended on the roof side of the former board shed and two new rooms and two porches would have been added to the courtyard. The building would have had a three-part neo-renaissance lining and the façade would have been centred on a fronton or end triangle. The old outbuildings were to be demolished and a new, tall building was to be constructed near the northern boundary of the plot to house a cattle shed, latrine and sheds. Only the outbuilding was built.

In 1969, the residential building had two apartments. Both were fitted with indoor toilets and the kitchens were fitted with counter tops. All the fireplaces were retained. In 1971, a sauna was added to the larger apartment, which was placed on the porch of the building.

In 1981, the buildings of Iso-Wuarla were renovated and modified. One apartment was added to the street-side building. The porch section was made fully heated, with two hallways, two toilets and washrooms and one room. Underneath the porch, in the basement, there was a desire to create ancillary spaces for the apartment, including a laundry room. Under the residential building there used to be a cellar. In 1983, changes were made to the outbuilding. A sauna was added, as well as a cloakroom, a lounge and a cold garage.

Current situation

Residential building
Residential building with elongated corners, pantile lining, six-paned windows, saddle roof

Outdoor building
External building made of logs and boards

Gate and fence
Made using an old model.