UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 Einvalla belonged to Bernstén and the plot of land in Vähä-Envalla to Vuoriander. Plot 49, called Vähä-Envalda in 1800, belonged in 1800 to a former bourgeois, Gabr. Oxel. The house was also occupied by organ builder Gust. Oxelill. Both were poor.

Modification drafts

The oldest modification drawing for the buildings on the plot dates back to 1895. At that time, there was a building at the North end of the plot, two separate small residential buildings on the eastern boundary, a one-room outbuilding in the central part of the plot and a one-room outbuilding at the northern end. Now it was intended to link the building containing the bakehouse and the pantry and the two-room building by means of a hallway with a board between them. At the north end of the building, a plank vestibule and two staircases were to be constructed. The original fireplaces of the buildings are not known, but it appears that one of the buildings had a baking oven. Now they wanted to replace it with a heating oven, but with a ring stove. The room may also have served as a workshop. The whole building was given a uniform vertical planking. The windows were six-paned and the panelling was quite simple. The doors were mirror doors, the main door a double door with a window above. A new part of the outbuilding, comprising a barn, stable, latrine and sleeping quarters, was to be built on the northern boundary of the site.

There is an alteration drawing of the buildings on the plot made by Arvi Forsman in 1898. There are two buildings on the eastern edge of the plot and an outbuilding in the far corner, on the northern and western boundaries. The building at the end, facing Pohjankatu, had two residential rooms and a kitchen. There was a small porch in front of the entrance. Now they wanted to enlarge one of the rooms and create a glass porch in front of the building. The second residential building was to be extended at the south end with a room and a kitchen. The wall between the baking room and the hallway was to be demolished to create more space in the sheath. Porches were built in front of the two entrances. The drawings also show the building being lined with planking. Both buildings have vertical planking on the courtyard sides without cross beams, even in the attic section. The simple moulding of the T-shaped windows ends in a triangular phase. The street elevation is shown with tripartite molding and a more handsome tripartite phase to the window frame.

In 1904, one of the chambers of a long residential building was to be converted into a kitchen. In 1906, Arvi Forsman drew an alteration drawing for the residential building closest to the street. It was intended to extend the building to include two apartments, one with a large room and a kitchen with a baking oven, the other with two rooms and a heating oven with a hob. The glass porch was to be extended to provide access to both apartments. The lining of the roof is now more ornate. The window surround moulding ends in a lily motif and below the window is a field with a large turned moulding.

The buildings on the site were extensively renovated in 1998. The middle building was converted into living and working rooms and a sauna. A garage was added to the outbuilding at the back of the courtyard.

Current situation

Residential building facing the street
Short-cornered residential building, Neo-Renaissance 1898 and 1906 (Arvi Forsman), saddle roof

Residential building in the yard
Long-cornered, seam-roofed, gable-roofed residential building, built in several phases, layout according to Arvi Forsman’s plan of 1898

Outdoor building
New, saddle roofed outbuilding.