UNESCO World Heritage Sites


According to the map of 1756, the house was owned by Jaakko Grönlund. In 1800 the house belonged to Fredrik Grönlund, a bourgeois. He had a small field and a barn on the beach, but his debts were much greater than the combined value of the house and the field.

Fire insurance

The house was insured in 1857 by the grocer A. F. Palmroth. At that time there were four separate buildings on the plot. There was a residential building on Kuninkaankatu and another building on Vähäkirkkokatu. At the back of the yard, on the northern boundary of the plot, was an outbuilding with a small cattle yard next to it, and next to the cattle yard, in the eastern part of the yard, was a small building.

The main building was old, in good condition, boarded up and painted with oil paint. The rooms consisted of a lobby, a hall, three chambers and a shop. The building also had a porch with windows. The shop staircase was of board, and the outer door was a double board door. The windows were six-paned and there were six of the same size and one smaller. There were two pairs of exterior doors, which were single board. The inner door of the hallway was a semi-transomed double door with a window above it. The building had two closets with board doors. The external doors, of which there were five, were semi-transparent mirrored doors. There were also two board doors. Five rooms had paper wallpaper and skirting boards. There was one brown-sided, square and one round fireplace, and one yellow-sided, square and one round fireplace. There were two chimneys. At the side of the building, on the courtyard side, was a kitchen, built in 1857. The walls were unplanked and unpainted, the ceiling was boarded. There was one six-paned window and one half-french mirrored door. The kitchen stove had a cast iron handle.

The building on the side of Vähäkirkkokatu was old, in good condition, unplanked and painted red. The building had an entrance hall, a chamber, a sauna, a shed and a chimney. There were three windows and four simple board doors. Fireplaces included a vaulted sauna stove and a brick tiled stove. The outbuilding at the rear of the property was old, unplanked and painted red. It contained a stable, a barn and a shed. The building in the middle of the plot was a food shed. It was old, in fair condition, unplanked and painted red. All the buildings had a tiled roof. The drive and access gates and the fence were also insured.

In the summer of 1861 there was a fire in the house. The fire started in the feed barn of the outbuilding, but the fire had time to take such a hold that a large part of the outbuilding was destroyed, as well as the roof of the adjacent sauna building. The fire was extinguished in less than an hour. The owner of the house and his wife and children were out of town and did not return home until the evening of the fire. A shop assistant, a maid and the hat makiers daughter, Maria Ulrika Ramstedt, who had been taken on as caretaker, were present. An hour before the fire, she had visited both the barn and the stables to feed the chickens and had noticed nothing unusual. When the fire broke out, the shop assistant was in the shop, as was the caretaker, and the maid had been sent by the shop assistant to buy two oranges. The cause of the fire could not be ascertained.

In 1862, a new insurance policy was issued. Apart from those after the fire, there had been other changes. The shop’s furniture had been supplemented with lockers, drawers and shelves. The shop windows had been fitted with shutters and the whole building had been equipped with gutters. The kitchen area had been given a tiled roof. The outbuilding on the Vähäkirkkokatu side of the property had been repaired after the fire with new and old millwork. The building was unplanked and painted with redpaint. The residential part of the same row had been repaired with a new chimney and a chamber had been added. The building was unlined and painted red. The roof was made of boards. The building now had a hall, a baker’s pantry and two chambers. There were two tiled stoves, plus a fireplace with a baking oven, a sauna oven and a stove. The building also had two dormitories. The cattle shed at the rear of the property had been replaced by a new building built in 1861. It contained a stable with a hayloft, a barn and a shed. The building was made partly of old and partly of new logs, unplanked and painted in red brick. There was also a plank latrine building on the property, built in 1862, painted red. The old, small latrine building is still standing.

Modification drafts

The oldest modification drawing dates back to 1883. The building had two halls with two chambers between them, a hall and a small chamber. On the courtyard side was a porch with a kitchen and an entrance. On the western boundary of the plot there was a dwelling and an outbuilding, and on the northern boundary of the plot there was an outbuilding attached to the outbuilding of another building. Now they wanted to raise the building on the Kuninkaankatu side with a board part. The building was covered with a felt roof. The windows were hexagonal and classically framed. Above each window was an attic window. The building was horizontal-roofed.

The building on the side of the street is an alteration drawing by Kaarlo Wirtanen from 1924. The building housed a shoe shop, and the premises will be adapted to its needs. The space on the roof side was a three-part space. It housed a shoe shop, a cashier’s office and an office. A small kitchen and entrance were left on the courtyard side. The street front had two doors, three large display windows and two smaller windows. The details were twentieth-century classical themes. In 1927, a small brick storage room was planned for the side of the courtyard. The following year, another plan was drawn up, this time for a larger stone extension with a storage cellar, a first floor combined as a shop and a high attic store.

In 1953, a new building was constructed on the site of the outbuildings, along the river. It was plastered in the style of the time, and was a representative detached house. The designer was Heikki Pastinen. In 1974, a swimming pool was to be added to the basement sauna of this representative building.

In 1960, the commercial building was extended according to a plan by Kaino Kari. The frame of the building was widened on one side, and in addition to the ground floor, the attic floor was also used for offices and storage. All the shop windows were converted into large, uniform squares, leaving no wall surface except for a few pilasters. Part of the basement floor of the building was also converted into a shop. In 1974, the shop was extended to the attic floor.

In 1985, changes were made. The entire first floor was one open shop space, from which new spiral staircases were made to the attic floor. Some of the space had been used as offices, some as storage and some as a cold attic, but now all the space was converted into a shop. Light was provided by new window blinds in the street-facing roof slab. The basement was used as a storage area, a staff changing room and a break room, in addition to the shop. The plans were drawn up by Markus Bernoulli.

Current situation

Commercial building
Short-cornered commercial building, peiterima lining, saddle roof, large shop windows

Residential building
Plastered stone dwelling house 1953 (H. Pastinen).