UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1800 the land was owned by the bourgeois Erhars Östman. He had more than 3 barrels of arable land, a meadow, two food barns, a reef, a shed and a barn, a boathouse, a loading dock, a windmill and two beach fences.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1860 by the laird and knight P. E. Falk. The main building was an old log building in good condition. It was planked and painted in red. The corners were painted with oil paint and the roof was boarded. The windows were square. There were three chimneys. The building had a covered doorway, an entrance hall, a hall divided into two parts by a paper wall, four chambers and a kitchen, and two mezzanine dormitories. Above the doorway was a porch. The entrance was covered. The entrance hall door was a double door with a window above it. The building had five semi-transparent intermediate doors and five simple oil-painted board doors and three other board doors. All doors had locks. Six of the rooms had paper wallpaper and skirting and ceiling tiles. One room had French wallpaper on the baseboards and ceiling tiles. There were two closets in the hallway, one of which led to the attic stairs. Two of the fireplaces were square tiled stoves with brown glazing and three were similar round stoves. There was a stove in the kitchen.

The bakery building on the western boundary of the property is old but in good condition. It was boarded up, but only the corner boards were painted red. The two windows in the building were square and square-headed. The building had an entrance hall, a baking room with a large and a small baking oven, a stove and a chamber with a brick tiled oven. Each fireplace had its own chimney. There was also a storage room.

The outbuilding, which was located near the eastern boundary of the property, with its end attached to the residential building, was also old, made of logs, painted red and in good condition. The building contained a coach house, a woodshed, a stable and a barn. The gate was of solid construction and of double board. There was a board fence against the neighbouring properties and a lattice fence against the garden.

In 1888, the house was owned by Johan Tork, a sailor. The fire insurance policy was renewed due to repairs. The main building was built partly of old and partly of new logs in 1887, and covered with a felt roof. It was planked and painted with oil paint. The building had seven living rooms, three kitchens and three windowed boarded rooms. There were six tiled stoves, most of them porcelain, and three kitchen ranges with stoves. All rooms were fitted with new floors, ceilings, doors, windows and fireplaces, papered and painted. The dormitories, barn and gateway mentioned in the previous fire insurance policy had been demolished and converted into living quarters.

The second residential building was built partly of old and partly of new logs in 1885. It was unplanked and unpainted and had a felt roof. It had three rooms and a washroom and baking room. The building also had two plank chimneys. There were three heating stoves, plus a baking oven and a washing oven. The location of the building was the same on the west side of the property as the previous outbuilding, but this time the building was slightly further away from the main building than the previous building.

The outer building was partly made of logs, partly of boards, and was erected in 1887. The building was painted with watercolour and covered partly with felt and partly with double board. The building contained a barn with a loft, a latrine and manure house, a stable, five log huts and two dormitories. The building was built on the eastern boundary of the plot, separate from the main building. The gate was now on the east side of the main building.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing of the plot from 1884. There was a residential and outbuilding along the commercial street, with a covered gateway between the residential and outbuilding sections. An outbuilding was attached to the building on the east side of the courtyard. On the western boundary of the property, on the courtyard side, was a baker’s building, very close to the residential building. However, it had fallen into disrepair and it was now desired to demolish the two chambers closest to the street-side building, repair the bakehouse portion and extend the building with a sauna, hallway and two chambers on the north side of the bakehouse. Two entrances to the building were made and boarded windows in front of them. The windows were six-paned with classical mouldings around them. The panelling was wide horizontal boards.

In 1887, changes were made to the property. The building facing the shopping street was added in one row and the driveway on the east side of the building. The semi-detached building had two entrances with a porch in front. Both entrances led to a hallway with a small kitchen behind. There were seven other living rooms in total, all connected to each other. John Fred. Lindegren designed the façade, which had three bays and four-pane windows with nickel-framed panelling. On the east side of the property was a long outbuilding with a barn, stable, privy, log dormitory and six sheds.

In 1898, a small stone kitchen was added to the west end of the street-side building on the courtyard side. Another new kitchen was added to the side of the yard next to the porch, but it was made of wood. An underground cellar was also proposed for the courtyard.

In 1916, the first shop entrance and shop windows were opened on the roof. J. S. Simelius’ fabric and fashion shop was opened. The windows and doors were in the Art Nouveau style. Otherwise, the façade retained its panelling and classically framed square windows. The design was by Onni von Zansen.

In 1939, part of the street-side building was converted to commercial use. A clothing department and a footwear department were built on the site. Large display windows were added to the façade, but five windows remained for the apartments. In 1954, the rest of the premises were converted to commercial use. Three windows of the original design remained on the street façade and a couple of original log partitions remained inside. The premises were opened into two shops, one of which became OTK’s shoe shop and the other a dress shop. A boiler room for central heating was added at the west end of the courtyard, as well as the only toilet in the building. All the old furnaces were dismantled.

In 1980, the residential building in the courtyard was renovated. A bathroom, sauna and a new kitchen were added. The plot was rebuilt with a high gate. The following year, a sauna was added to the outbuilding.

Current situation

Street-side building
The building consists of the original oblong residential building dating from the 1700s, but at least partially rebuilt in 1887, later shop windows, a saddle roof, and a two-storey commercial wing from the 1980s (Markus Bernoulli) attached to the old one. The whole building is in commercial use.

Residential building in the courtyard
Long-cornered residential building 1887, with a stucco lining

Outdoor building
The wrought iron outbuilding is part of an old, long outbuilding built in 1887

A new, pass-through gate in the street-side building.