UNESCO World Heritage Sites


Jokela was owned in 1756 by And. Sparrenborg. In 1800 the owner was also the bourgeois And. Sparrenborg. In addition to the house, he had more than three barrels of arable land, a meadow, two reefs with barns, two beach fences and a loading dock.

Fire insurance

The house was insured by the navigator J. G. Ruuth in 1847. There were two buildings on the plot at that time, the main building along Kuninkaankatu and the outbuilding on the western boundary. The eastern part of the plot was a garden. The main building was in good condition, built of new logs in 1828, boarded and painted with oil paint on three sides. The fourth side was painted red. The roof was plank. There were seven rooms: an entrance hall, a hall and four chambers. The building had a double pitched roof, but no cellar. There were 13 windows of spruce frames and 13 windows (cornicher), which were oil-painted. There were seven attic windows. There was also one pair of shutters, which were single board. The outer door was a double door, which was double board. Above the door was a window. The external stairs were wooden. The inner door of the hallway was a half-transomed mirrored door with glass panes at the top. Five of the intermediate doors were half-transom double doors, two were one-piece half-transom doors. The attic stairs started from the closet. Two closets had board doors. Five rooms had paper wallpaper and baseboards and baseboards. The ovens were one square and two round, brown glazed and one white glazed column tiled ovens and two brown painted round tiled ovens and one white glazed. There was also a kitchen stove with an iron stove and an oven. There were two chimneys.

The second building on the plot was a log building in good condition. It was also built in 1828 from new materials, without boards and painted in red paint. There were eight rooms: an entrance hall, a hall, a dormitory, a chalk room, a stable and a barn, as well as two toilets and an adjoining privy. Under the building was a vaulted cellar. The roof of the building was double-pitched. The building had two double-glazed windows, two cornice windows and two single-glazed windows and one semi-transomed intermediate door. The exterior doors were single and double boarded. There were also hatches, attic stairs, barn and stable interiors and a granary in the granary. The chamber had a flat tiled stove with brown glazing. The building had one chimney. The gate and fence were also insured. In 1852, an additional building was insured. A wing was added to the side of the main building facing Vähäpoikkikatu.

In 1859, the house was owned by the dyer J. G. Nordling. At that time a new policy was taken out, as there had been further changes. The wing facing Vähäpoikkikatu, which had already been registered with the insurance company, had been built in 1847 and contained a baker’s pantry, a pantry and a hall. The building was unplanked and unpainted and had a pitched roof. There were three windows and two semi-transomed partition doors. The oven in the chamber was a brown-sided tiled oven. The baker’s extension was a later extension of the baker’s building, with a wood-burning oven made of boards.

A new, stone dyer’s building had been built on the site, located along Vähäpoikkikatu. The building was erected in 1858. It was a two-storey brick building with a plastered interior. The building housed a dye works, a bluing and dye house, a drying room and two living rooms. There were three fireplaces with three walls, a wall in the dye house with three copper pots with masonry, a kiln in the blue house with a copper cube with masonry and a similar wall in the drying room, and one brick tiled kiln. There were two chimneys. The building had a brick roof. The building had eight six-paned windows and nine two-paned windows. There were two entrances.

In 1864, the insurance policy was renewed. The main building had not changed, but the outbuilding had a wooden latticework extension. The baker’s building facing Vähäpoikkikatu now included a baking room, a pantry and also a threshing floor. The number of tiled ovens had increased to two.

The factory building was extended in 1864. It was reported that the plastered and tiled building now had four unvaulted rooms on the ground floor. There was: one wall with three copper pans, one wall with a colour pot and two bricked-up copper hoods, one fireplace for heating the press irons and a pressing plant. There was also a steam engine of five horsepower and waxing and tempering equipment. On the second floor there were three rooms and a chamber for the cutting room. There were cutting and carding machines and a drying and spinning room. There was only one tiled oven on the upper floor. A drying rack, a drive gate and a fence were also secured

In February 1885 there was a fire accident in the spinning mill, which damaged the inside of the building. The machinery in the building was also damaged. Despite this, the industrial plant continued to develop. A survey in 1892 revealed that the machinery was already powered by a ten-horsepower steam engine.

In 1899, the insurance policy was renewed. The residential building on Kuninkaankatu now had a hall, four chambers, a parlour, a hallway and a boardroom. In 1897 the building had been thoroughly renovated. It had a new stone base, stone stairs to the shop, new modern windows, porcelain stoves, and the interior of the rooms had been thoroughly repaired and the whole building had been finely planked and painted with oil paint. The wing building on the side facing Vähäpoikkikatu had a baker’s shop, a sauna and three chambers. The building had a baking oven, two tiled ovens and a bathroom oven. The building was covered with brick, as was the main building. The exterior was now partly boarded up and painted with mixed paint. The interior of the building had been repaired, but had not been substantially altered. The factory building had again been slightly enlarged.

Modification drafts

A modification drawing of the building along the street dates from 1882. They wanted to open the entrance to the shop on the roof side. A high staircase rising on two sides was placed in front of the double door. The building had six-paned windows, classicist window panelling and two-paned attic windows.

The modification drawing for the wool spinning and dyeing mill building dates from 1887. The building is plastered and has a tiled roof. The lower floor has part six-paned windows and two wider nine-paned windows. On the second floor, there were some slightly smaller six-paned windows, but some double-paned attic windows. Now they wanted to make all the windows on this floor six-square. This is said to not only give light to the rooms, but also to improve the appearance of the building. The building was extended, raised and altered several times over the following decades. The extensions also removed the long row of outbuildings on the western boundary of the site, which had housed a residential room at the Kuninkaankatu end.

The façade drawing of the building on Kuninkaankatu was made by E. Ikäläinen in 1896. The building was given a neo-renaissance look. The cladding was three-tiered, with T-shaped windows surrounded by lily-themed lining boards. On the roof side were the double doors of the shop, with the words I. Östman on the upper window. In 1904, a corner door was added to the shop. In 1928, the shop was extended by adding former residential rooms. A shop window was also added to the corner shop. Central heating was brought in from the factory. There had also been another entrance to the shop on the Kuninkaankatu side, with tall and narrow display windows on either side. These were now converted into ordinary living room windows and the door was removed. In 1948 the windows and door to the roof side were reopened and the shop window on the corner was removed. The following year there is a plan that shows three large windows on the roof with the words “Rauman Villakehräämö oy” (translated: Rauma Wool Spinning Mill, Ltd). The previous shop window was replaced by residential windows and the corner door was closed. The entire street-side building was to serve as a shop and office. It is difficult to keep track of what did and did not happen.

In 1988, the former wool spinning mill building was converted into apartments. Large summer rooms with windows were opened in the corners of the building, but otherwise the building retained the spirit of the old factory. The wooden part of the building was restored. The shop windows were reduced in size and one of the roof entrances was removed. An old-style, high gate was also planned for the roof. The plans were drawn up by Jukka Koivula.

Current situation

Building on Kuninkaankatu
Short-cornered residential building dating from 1828, east wing built in 1847, as a residential bungalow, neo-renaissance lining dating from 1896 (E. Ikäläinen), ribbed horizontal planking on the courtyard facade, hipped roof. The façades have been partially restored in the 1980s (e.g. the window area has been reduced).

Stone building
A 3-storey, plastered factory building, two floors built in the mid-19th century, third floor in 1920. After the dyeing and wool spinning activities ceased, the building has been renovated into apartments (1980s, Jukka Koivula).