UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the house was mentioned as the Schoolmaster’s house. The owner was Brander. In 1800, Zach Levan, a pedagogue, lived in Joki-Mart. The house was an official residence and not owned by the teacher. Levan had over two barrels of arable land and five acres of meadows.

Fire insurance

Fire insurance was taken out in 1855 by the city of Rauma. It was the residence of the school principal. There were three buildings on the site: a residential building along Koulukatu, another building along Vähäkoulukatu and an outbuilding in the courtyard on the western boundary of the site.

The main building was old and in good condition, boarded up and painted red. The roof was made of tiles. There were six windows and they were six-paned, with the same number of windows in the attic. The building had a porch made of sheetrock with windows. The rooms consisted of a lobby, a hall and three chambers. The attic stairs led from the hall closet. There were five semi-transomed doors. Four of the tiled stoves were round and one flat, all with brown glazing. There were two chimneys in the building.

The building facing Vähäkoulukatu was old and painted with red paint. It had an entrance hall, a baker’s room, a pantry, a barn, a stable and a shed. The building had three windows. They were hexagonal and square, rather small. The chamber had a flat tiled oven with a brown tile top and the baking room had a baking oven. In the hallway was a cupboard. There was one set of half-transomed partition doors. There were four exterior doors. The outbuilding on the west side of the courtyard was a wood-framed outhouse and privy, painted red. A double board gate, painted with oil paint, was also insured.

In 1886, a new insurance policy was issued. The house was then owned by widow Edla Kurtén. The buildings had been repaired and altered. An additional pantry and kitchen had been added to the main building, as well as two porches. The building also had a tiled roof. The building was painted red. The rooms consisted of a pantry, a hall, four chambers and two porches. The rooms had also been renovated: new floors, new wallpaper, etc.

The building facing Vähäkoulukatu was planked and painted with red paint, the roof was made of boards. This building had also been repaired. The extension building was still in good condition and had been repaired. A new building mentioned on the site was the basement roof, which was of log construction, unpainted and with a pitched roof. The cellar was located in the southern part of the plot. A separate pedestrian gate was now mentioned at the gate.

Modification drafts

There is an undated modification drawing of the building facing Vähäkoulukatu, which shows that the building had both residential and outbuildings. There is a window in the roof, and now the intention was to open a similar six-paned window in the previously windowless roof. The building is horizontally planked and the window frames are classical. Two chimneys are shown on the drawing.

There is an alteration drawing of the buildings on the plot from 1888. There is a residential building on the Koulukatu side of the plot, another building with residential and outbuildings on the Vähäkoulukatu side, an outbuilding on the western boundary of the plot and a cellar near the southern boundary of the plot. The base of the building on the side of Little School Street is shown on the drawing. The building is a semi-detached building with an entrance hall and kitchen in the middle and large rooms on either side. There is also a chamber at the end of the school street. At the other end there is a stable and a barn. The building is low, with no attic windows on the long side. It is vertically planked and boarded. The windows are drawn in two-paned and framed in classical style. The windows were to be replaced. The old windows were six-paned. The building on School Street had an attic section with double-hung windows. The lower part of the walls was horizontal boarded. The windows are drawn as double-hung. They too must have been six-sash in the past. The windows have classical mouldings. The building has a tiled roof.

The modification drawing by Arvi Forsman dates from 1904. The building on the Vähäkoulukatu side was given a horizontal plinth and T-shaped windows. Their framing is subtly neo-renaissance in style. At the other end of the building, the outbuilding was demolished and replaced by a slightly shorter residential section, with a baker’s pantry and entrance hall. The small outbuilding on the western boundary of the site was replaced by a larger one.

In 1912, a brick extension was planned for the building facing Koulukatu. The plan was to make an extension to the south end of the building, which would also extend to the courtyard on the southern boundary of the plot. A room was planned on the street side, which would house a shop door and a display window. At the rear would be a bakery and a room with a masonry bench, apparently a laundry room. The basement of the building would remain under the new section and the old basement overhang would be demolished. The plan was never implemented.

The modification drawing by Arvi Forsman dates from 1914. The outbuilding part of the building on Vähäkoulukatu was replaced by a kitchen with a baking oven and a hallway. The building was slightly shortened. The outbuilding on the western boundary of the plot was rebuilt. It became larger than before. In addition to one log room, it had four board rooms and a latrine. The previous latrine had been a separate small building on the side of the outhouse. The dwelling house was raised and given a new lining. The walls are horizontal boarded and the framing of the T-shaped windows is simple but with a neo-renaissance effect. In 1933, fireplace alterations were made to the building on Koulukatu. A garage was added to the outbuilding.

In 1970, both the residential building on Koulukatu and the building on Vähäkoulukatu were renovated. In the building facing Koulukatu, some of the heating stoves were demolished, as well as the kitchen stoves, as the building was equipped with central heating. The building still has two apartments: one with a room and kitchen of 32 m2 and the other with three rooms and a kitchen of 83 m2. Both apartments have a small toilet and the larger apartment has a small shower room. One toilet could be placed in the attic stairwell and the other toilet and shower room on the extended and insulated porch. The renovation also included lowering the ceilings of the living rooms. In addition, the description of the measures on the drawing shows that the electrical wiring was replaced.

Similar changes were made to another building. Two apartments were combined into one of 92 m2. The heating stoves and wood stoves were dismantled, but a fireplace was built in the living room. A bathroom with a bathtub was also added. The ceilings of the rooms in this building were also lowered. In the same year, a flat-roofed extension was added to the side of the building facing Vähäkoulukatu, on the courtyard side, to house a boiler room, sauna and garage.

Current situation

Residential building parallel to Vähäkoulukatu
Short-cornered residential building, later horizontal brickwork, saddle roof. The outhouse on the courtyard side dates from 1970.

Residential building facing Koulukatu
Residential building with a long corner, neo-renaissance lining dating from 1888, saddle roof

Outdoor building
New building from 1970

A type common in the early 20th century.