UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756, the Heinlä plot was still owned by several owners as cabbage land. In 1800, the plot was owned by Erik Pihlman. He also owned a field and an old barn. The plot was also home to a loiness, Liisa. She was poor.

Fire insurance

In 1880, the buildings on the plot were insured. Aurora Strömberg, the merchant’s wife, took out the insurance. There were three buildings on the plot: the main building on Kuninkaankatu, another building on the western side of the plot and a third building on the northern side of the plot.

The building on Kuninkaankatu was not very old. The south side was panelled and the building was painted red. The roof was made of boards. The rooms were a hall, two chambers and a porch. The building on the western side of the plot was attached to the main building. It was a dwelling and outbuilding, part log, part board. The building was painted with red clay paint and contained a barn, stables, a sleeping room, two paddocks and a kitchen. The building at the northern end of the courtyard, an unboarded and unpainted bakehouse, was built in 1878. It had both a baking oven and a laundry oven. In addition, a fence and a driveway gate were secured on the property, with an attached access gate.

The insurance policy was renewed in 1885. The house was then owned by the labourer Gustaf Wilhelm Enroos. In 1882 the house had been altered. It had been raised and extended with a hall, kitchen and hallway, and extended with two porches. The roof of the house was covered with asphalt shingles, as were the roofs of the porches. The whole building was now panelled and painted with oil paint. There were two lobbies, two halls, two chambers, a kitchen and two porches. The house now had four tiled stoves and a kitchen stove with a masonry iron stove. Tiled stoves had been made in rooms other than the new ones. The floors, ceilings, doors, windows and wallpaper had also been replaced.

Another building, which had both living quarters and outbuildings, was also completely boarded up. However, the building had not been painted. In 1884, the barn was rebuilt with new logs. At the same time, a new latrine was made of board, as well as new doors, a boarded water roof, etc. The baker’s building at the north end of the property had not been altered.

In 1894, insurance was renewed. The house was then owned by the coppersmith T. E. Grönroos. The main building was covered with iron clapboard. The dwelling and outbuilding on the western boundary of the plot were covered with felt. There were now two living rooms, two latrines, a manure tank, a stable, a barn and two woodsheds. The building at the rear of the plot had been extended in 1891. The building was still unplanked and unpainted. It was covered with clapboard. The building had three living rooms, which were furnished as a tinsmith’s workshop, a baking room and a chamber. The chamber had a tiled stove, the baking room a baking oven and a stove with a hot stove, and the tinsmith’s workshop an oven. In addition, the driveway and fence of the property were insured.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing from 1880. The plan was to convert one of the windows of the three rooms on the roof side into a double door for the shop, and to build a wooden shop staircase in front of the door, of the rising type on two sides. The door was a mirrored door with windows at the top. The other windows in the building were six-paned and surrounded by classical panelling, as was the new front door. The shop room had a single counter and shelves on the walls. The drawing also shows a gate to the property. The driveway gate was high and fitted with a top rail. Next to it was a shallower access gate. The gate panels were divided by a crossbar, the lower part was vertically planked, the upper part was sloped so that when the gate was closed it formed a herringbone pattern. The access gate was diagonally boarded.

In 1882, they wanted to convert the baking room in the eastern part of the courtyard into a potter’s workshop. The kiln was built on the site of the baking oven so that there was no log wall against the brick wall. The oven was heated from the side of the courtyard, where a small canopy was left over the mouth of the oven. The exterior building line is on the western boundary of the property, attached to the residential building.

There is an alteration drawing from 1891 for the building in the middle of the courtyard, which previously housed the copper smith’s workshop. The building was extended and a new part was added to house a baker’s pantry and a chamber with its own entrance, which was called the people’s room. The new part was also replaced with six-paned windows with simple classical panelling.

In 1930 a new outbuilding was built. There had been a narrow row of outbuildings on the western boundary of the property, attached to the residential building along the street. Now the old outhouse was replaced by a separate outbuilding on the western boundary of the property, which was to be two storeys high and stone built. A garage, woodworking rooms, laundry room, cellar, pigsty and toilets were added to the ground floor of the pulpit-roofed building. Upstairs there was a workshop and an adjoining office. In 1969, the downstairs of the building was converted. A boiler room for central heating and a sauna were added. The pigsty was demolished and the latrine section was converted into a warehouse. In the same year, the residential building on the street was also renovated. Central heating was brought in from the outbuilding and the furnaces were dismantled. The porches were converted into small toilet cubicles for both apartments and the kitchens were fitted with a sink and electric stove and cupboards.

In 1998, renovations and changes were planned for the buildings on the site. Two apartments in the street-side building were renovated and the larger apartment was fitted with washrooms. The residential building in the courtyard was converted into a bakery and two rooms. The two-storey, stone outbuilding was converted into an apartment on the upper floor and a sauna and adjoining fireplace room, garage and storage room on the lower floor. An old-style gate was added along the street.

Current situation

Street-side residential building
Residential building with elongated corners, pantile lining, six-paned windows, saddle roof

Residential building in the yard
Short-cornered building, vertical boarded, pitched roof. Extended in 1891, since when the building has contained an old copper smith’s workshop and a new dwelling and baker’s shop.

Outdoor building
Cement brick outbuilding from 1930. Converted into a residence.

The gate on the Kuninkaankatu side has been made to look like what was there before.