UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1800 the land was owned by the blacksmith Jakob Winblad

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1847 by Johan Emanuel Randell, an alderman. There were three buildings on the plot, the main building on Kuninkaankatu, the second on the sloping western boundary and the third on the northern boundary.

The main building was made in 1830 of new logs. The building was planked on three sides in 1844 and oil painted. There were nine rooms: two halls, a hall, five chambers and a kitchen. Under the building was a vaulted cellar. The two outer tiers were fitted with a canopy supported by columns. There were nine windows and they were oil-painted. The transoms of the windows were also insured. There were eight windows in the attic. The attic staircase led from a closet with two doors. There were five other closets with six doors. The hallway door was a semi-transomed double door, and there were three other simple semi-transomed doors. There were also four double board doors and one single. The four rooms had paper wallpaper, skirting boards and chest panels. The fireplaces were two square and three round, with brown-sided tiled stoves and one brick tiled stove. There was also a kitchen stove with an oven. There were three chimneys in the building.

The outbuilding on the western boundary of the property was in fair condition. It was built in 1841 of logs. The roof was made of boards. The building contained a stable and a barn. On the northern boundary was a boarded-up shed.

In 1863 the insurance was taken out by the widow of the new alderman, I. Randell. The other buildings were more or less unchanged, but a bakery had been built in 1857 on the site of the shed by the river. It was painted red and had a tiled roof. There was also a sauna oven next to the bakehouse oven. The building had a wooden shed and a latrine. The fences on the property were also insured, as was the gate to the property, which was made of double board and painted with oil paint.

In 1901, the property’s bakery building suffered fire damage, but it was not extensive. There was also some damage to the fence. The property was then owned by Edvin Aaltonen.

Modification drafts

There is a façade drawing of the building from 1898. It may have been made by A. Johansson. The building had horizontal planking, but the attic had smooth planking. The four-light windows were surrounded by triangular mouldings. The triple-headed roof had horn-cut organic curlicue decorations. A new shop entrance was being constructed at the end of the building, against the corridor, with double doors. In addition, a new porch was added to the courtyard side. There is a floor plan of the street-side building which does not show the exact year, but it is from the same period as the façade drawing. The building has a hall on the street side with a small pantry and kitchen on one side and a entrance hall and pantry on the other side. At the eastern end of the building was a separate apartment with two rooms on the street side and a kitchen on the courtyard side.

An 1899 modification drawing by Arvi Forsman for the residential and outbuilding on the northern boundary of the courtyard and the sloping western boundary. The dwelling was located on the northern boundary and contained a bakery. There had been a three-room log outbuilding on the western boundary, but now these buildings were joined by a board-and-batten joint to create two store rooms and a privy. The lining of the dwelling is shown as three storeys and a small pulpit-roofed porch is drawn in front of the entrance. The exterior door was a mirrored door and the windows were T-pane. On the exterior part of the building, the lining continued as horizontal mouldings, articulated by vertical and horizontal mouldings.

The next drawing of the street facade dates from 1900. It was drawn by Arvi Forsman. A shop door was added to the roof between two windows. In 1903, shop windows were being made. At the same time, changes were also planned for the exterior of the building. The two outbuildings were connected by a hinge, where a toilet was added. The former bakehouse became a room, and a two-room, brick workshop was to be connected to it. In 1904, a smaller, one-roomed workshop was finally added to the outbuilding, with access from the outside, but the workshop also provided access to the living room of the building. In the same year, there was also a desire to change the living room so that the baking oven would not be demolished, but a second fireplace would be added next to it. In 1906, the windows of the street-side building and the shop door were to be moved to another location. The following year, a new shed was added to the end of the outbuilding and the building underwent partition and fireplace modifications. The living quarters included a bakery and room and a brick workshop.

In 1939, two large display windows were added to the street façade of the building. The previous windows were tall and narrow with a door between them. In 1946, the outbuilding wing on the eastern boundary of the site was converted into a sauna.

In 1951, an extension was made to the street-side building, on the courtyard side. The building was extended between the former porches. The new parts were used for commercial storage and the kitchen of the apartment. A toilet was also added to the building. The business premises included a dairy store and a general store. A display window was made in the dairy shop. The mixed goods shop had existing shop windows. There was also a new storage cellar under the building. The extension of the street-side building meant that a corner had to be cut at the end of the outbuilding to give the required 6 m clearance. In 1952, a small extension was made to the outbuilding to create a garage.

In 1958, three large display windows and two commercial doors were added to the roof. The windows in the residential part were converted to low-pane, ventilated windows. In 1960, changes were made to the commercial space. Separate shop units were combined by demolishing walls to form a single 80 m2 shop. A toilet and the necessary cold storage facilities were built adjacent to the commercial premises. An extension was built in the courtyard for storage. The extension also included the basement. At the same time, the roof on the courtyard side was changed to make the attic floor also available for residential use. A modern loading dock was also added to the courtyard. The outbuilding in the courtyard was demolished, at least in part, to make way for the extensions. In 1975, an additional room was added to the attic flat at one end and a sauna was built between the previously occupied part and the new room.

In 1981, the shop space was enlarged by adding a room from the apartment to the shop.

Current situation

Streetside building
Short-cornered residential building, partly commercial, built in 1830, gabled roof, display windows. Present appearance 1958 and 1960.

External building
Vertical timber-framed outbuilding dating from 1841 and carport

Residential building in the yard
Short-cornered residential building, horizontal-roofed

External building
Plastered brick outbuilding, former workshop converted into a sauna in 1946.