UNESCO World Heritage Sites


Eskola was in 1800 a bourgeois son of Fredr. Clauden.

Fire insurance

Fire insurance was taken in 1871, when the house belonged to the underage children of fireman J. E. Uddi. The main building was on Vanhankirkonkatu and the gate on the east side of the building. The building was painted red and contained a hall, a chamber, a hallway and a hall chamber. There were three tiled stoves. The second residential building, a bakery, stood in the courtyard on the eastern boundary of the property. The oven in the baking house was such that the sauna stove was also connected to the wall of the baking oven. Next to the bake house was a washroom. At the back of the yard, on the south side of the plot, was an outbuilding containing a stable, a barn and a shed.

In December 1885, a fire destroyed the bakery building completely. On the same day there had been baking and a bath had been planned, but the fire had broken loose, apparently through a crack in the wall, and had spread from the wall between the baking room and the washroom. According to the city’s building code, the building had to be completely destroyed after the fire and could not be rebuilt on the same site.

In 1889, a new insurance policy was taken out for the house. The owner of the house at that time was Daniel Friberg, a sailor. The old main building had been thoroughly renovated and partly extended in the summer of 1889. The building was still partly unplanked. There were three living rooms and a kitchen with a baking oven. During the renovation work, the building had been raised, all the rooms had new floors and ceilings, new windows, stoves and wallpaper. The kitchen and porches were new additions. The building, as well as the interior, had been painted with oil paint. The house was covered with iron clapboard.

The exterior building was also repaired and extended in September 1889. It was part log, part plank and boarded, but still unpainted. The building was covered with asphalt felt. There was a gate to the property with a separate access gate.

In 1898 the policy was taken out by Lovisa Friberg. The buildings were being renovated, which meant that the insurance values had to be increased. The main building was said to be partly old, partly built in 1889 and 1892, boarded up, painted with oil paint and covered with iron cladding. A room had been added to the west side of the courtyard. The building had also been widened by 2/3. The building had also been boarded up and repainted. The exterior, which had been extensively repaired in 1889, was painted with water paint. The outbuilding contained a barn with a loft, a latrine and a manure tank, and two woodsheds.

Modification drafts

The oldest of the drawings related to the changes dates back to 1886. It shows that before the alterations, the dwelling had a hall, a chamber, a hallway and an antechamber, as mentioned in the fire insurance. Access to the property was via a covered gateway at the eastern end of the building. The bakehouse, which had been damaged by the fire, was located in the inner part of the property, on the eastern boundary, and its remains were demolished. The doorway was converted into a room and a chamber was demolished at the western end of the building to provide access to the site. A wing was planned as an extension to the gate chamber, to house a two-room apartment with a kitchen and a small porch with a pent roof in front of the entrance. However, the wing was not built. A semi-detached apartment was created in the street-side part of the building, with the old hall and antechamber and the room that formed the gateway. The hallway was extended slightly towards the courtyard and became the kitchen, which could also accommodate a baking oven. The façades of the dwelling were of horizontal brickwork and the six-paned windows were framed in classical style. The pilasters on the street façade were decorated with chamfers and turned buttons, suggesting a neo-renaissance style. The outbuilding was located on the southern boundary of the property and contained a barn, log sheds and privy.

The next modification drawing from 1892 is also by John Fred. John Lindegren. It was intended to extend the dwelling by adding a new chamber and porch-like entrance on the courtyard side. Between them was the kitchen, which was extended. The new chamber had its own entrance. The end of the hall, on the street side, also had its own small access hatch, so that the hall could be used as a business room. The building’s panelling is presented in a neo-renaissance style, with triple glazing bars, more ornate cross-pane windows on the street side and simpler mouldings on the courtyard side. There is an alteration drawing from the following year which explains that the new chamber was left without a fireplace in the previous plan. But now they wanted one. They also wanted to build a small porch in front of the entrance to protect against wind and rain.

A drawing by Onni von Zansen from 1898 shows an extension to the courtyard, with two rooms, a glass porch and a second entrance. The entrance on the street side is not shown on this drawing, so apparently it was not built.

In 1919, two entrances and display windows were built on the street side according to Arvi Leikari’s design. The owner of the house is the decorative painter Frans Linja. In 1925, there was a desire to extend the glass porch on the courtyard side and to make fireplace modifications. The baking oven in the kitchen was abandoned and the partition wall was moved to create more space in the chamber adjacent to the kitchen. In 1928, the glass porch was called the photographic studio. One of the chambers had become a ‘retouching room’. Only one of the commercial rooms is shown in this drawing. The owner of the house was still Frans Lilja, who is mentioned as the photographer. In 1931, the door and window were to be moved from one place to another. In 1939, two doors and display windows of the commercial building were again shown. The situation therefore varied.

In 1987, they wanted to keep two commercial apartments on the roof, but wanted to incorporate the retouching room of the former photographic shop. Washing facilities were added to the apartment and a toilet to the other commercial building. A sauna was added to the outbuilding.

Current situation

Residential- commercial building
Long-cornered semi-detached residential building, Neo-Renaissance 1892 (Johan Fredrik Lindegren), windows from 1919. The courtyard wing was rebuilt in 1892 and extended in 1898 (Onni von Zansen), finally a photographic studio was added to the courtyard in 1928 (Kaino Kari).

External building
Boarded exterior building

Gate designed by John F. Lindegren in 1892.