UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756, the Korpolainen plot was owned by Erik Lönberg. In 1800, plot 46 was owned by the bourgeois Erik Pramén. The same man also owned plot 47, which was a desert plot.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing of the buildings on the plot from 1883. On the western boundary of the plot there is one residential building and two one-room outbuildings, one of which is a plank barn and the other a log cabin. On the northern boundary there is another outbuilding with a barn. At the street end of the residential building is a section with two rooms. The larger of these was the baker’s room, but it was now to be converted into a hall. This room is followed by a hallway and a pantry, which was to be converted into a kitchen. The hall is part of the same apartment. The next apartment has a hallway, a pantry and a hall. At the end of the building it was now intended to make a new baking room with a porch in front of it. A porch was also added in front of the largest apartment. The middle flat has an old porch. The low part of the building, which is actually a little narrower than the rest of the building, is to be raised to the same height as the rest of the building and covered with a single roof. However, this was not done. A new, log, one-room shed was also to be built on the eastern boundary of the plot. The shed had to be moved slightly further north in order to extend the dwelling house. The dwelling is drawn as a horizontal timber-framed building with six-paned windows framed with classical mouldings. There are no attic windows in the low part, but there are elsewhere.

There is a drawing from 1892, which records the deviations made from the previous drawing of 1883 during the renovation. The building is now shown with vertical boards and the windows with transoms. They are double-panelled. There is also a modification drawing of the exterior of the plot from 1892, by Arvi Forsman. The plan was to replace the outbuilding at the rear of the plot with a stable, a barn, a latrine and a storeroom. They also wanted to rebuild the dormitory building on the western boundary of the plot. False windows have been drawn on the field side of the outbuilding.

The modification drawing dates from 1913 and was made by Arvi Leikari. Now it seems that the new part of the residential building, built the previous time, would be shortened a little. However, it was probably the case that the building had been made slightly shorter than intended because of the adjacent ferry shed. A relocation of the shed had been planned. In any case, it was now demolished. The outbuilding, at the back of the yard, had cattle sheds, a latrine and sheds. On the western boundary of the plot was a separate log building with a square base, now connected to the other building by board sheds. The dwelling house underwent fireplace modifications. A kitchen and hallway were added to the part intended to be a baker’s pantry and connected to an adjoining room. The middle flat also gained a kitchen, with a stove being added to the hall chamber. The adjoining room was connected to this apartment. The rooms in both apartments received new heating stoves. The dwelling was given vertical planking, four-sash windows and Art Nouveau panelling.

In 1934, an alteration drawing was drawn up to raise the end of the residential building on the street side, at the two rooms, to the same height as the rest of the building. Not only the 1883 drawings, but also the 1892 and 1913 drawings showed the whole building at the same height, but the elevation had not yet been raised. The buildings are often shown on the drawings as more regular than they actually are.

In 1963, a sauna was added to the north end of the building. In 1998, the building was renovated, the washrooms were renovated and two new porches were added. There were two apartments instead of three.

Current situation

Residential building:
Short-cornered residential building, vertical boarded, pitched roof. The panelling and the Art Nouveau window frames follow the design drawn up by Arvi Leikari in 1913.

Exterior building:
A short-cornered, gabled and pent-roofed outbuilding, consisting of several parts of varying ages.

Gate and fence:
Old, early 20th century type.