UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the plot belonged to Matti Jesper. In 1800, the deserted plot was owned by the daughter of the patron Wahlström.

Fire insurance

The house was insured against fire in 1876. At that time the house was owned by the sailor F. W. Malén. There were two residential buildings, one on Isomalminkatu and the other on the eastern boundary of the plot. In addition, there was an outbuilding parallel to the second residential building in the middle of the long and narrow plot. The street-side building was old but in good condition, boarded up and painted in red. The roof was boarded. There were three rooms: two halls and a chamber. The second building was old and in moderate condition. It was not planked, but painted with red colour. The building had a bread room, a wood stove, a stable, a barn and a feed store. The old log outbuilding had two dormers and a shed between them. The building was unpainted. The entrance to the property was through a gate made of logs and planks. At the back of the courtyard there was space for a garden. In 1895 the baker’s building was repaired and its insurance value increased.

Modification drafts

There is a modification drawing from 1888. The buildings on it were the same as those mentioned in the fire insurance. The alteration was to the baker’s building on the eastern boundary of the property and a separate outbuilding. Next to the bakery was a dwelling house. Slightly lower down was an outbuilding with a stable, latrine and paddock and a barn. The baker’s building was proposed to be lined with three-tiered neo-renaissance panelling. The windows were high, four-paned. The small outbuilding on the west end of the site was to be demolished to make a shed, leaving two dormers. The outbuildings are drawn as horizontal board and batten and the baker’s shed as thatched.

There is a modification drawing of the house from 1895. The house was owned by helmsman Sjöblom. The drawings show that the main building along the street was a semi-detached house at the bottom, with an entrance hall in the middle and halls on both sides. Now a kitchen was added to the building. Previously, food had been prepared in a bakery in another building. A projection was made in the courtyard of the building, with the kitchen section in the middle. The kitchen was connected to part of the pantry by demolishing the old outer wall and building a new partition. In addition, two plank windows were added as entrances. One of the two apartments had two rooms and a kitchen, the other a separate room. The lining of the building was vertical boarding, and the moulding of the three roof windows was slightly neo-renaissance. The windows were four-paned. The outbuilding on the eastern boundary of the site was to house a three-cow barn and a three-horse stable, with a latrine and paddock between them. The building also had two storage rooms.

A 1905 plan by Arvi Forsman shows the street-side building and baker’s shop combined with a room and a yard, with a kitchen and a porch added to the west end of the building. The kitchen and porch were built, but the combination of the bakehouse and the residential building remained.

In 1919, a new porch was added to the main building. The second kitchen was left as a hallway. The bakery building and the outbuilding on the eastern boundary were now separate. The outbuilding in the middle of the plot had disappeared. In 1928, the oven in the bakehouse was replaced and the changing room and store room were separated. In 1929, a shop door and window were added to the street frontage. In 1932, it was desired to replace the shop door and display window with a window for the living room. It was desired to make a second kitchen out of the old front hall, so that the building would have two rooms and a kitchen.

In 1940, the bakery’s oven was demolished and the building was converted into a room and kitchen apartment. In 1951, the living quarters were altered so that the hallway became the kitchen and the old hall chamber became the pantry again. Entrance parts were rebuilt to give each apartment its own hallway.

The outbuilding was replaced in 1954 by a smaller building with a latrine and wooden sheds. In 1968, part of it was converted into a sauna.

Current situation

Residential building
An elongated residential building, probably from the 1700s, with vertical planking from the 1800s. Extended.

Residential building in the yard
Log building, former bakery

Adapted to the building with an overhead gate 1979