UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the house was owned by Henrik Apuli. In 1800 the owners were the guard Christ. Grönqvist, who owned half of the house, and the guard Joh. Gyldan, who owned the other half. The ownership was divided so that Grönqvist owned plot 175. In addition to the house, he owned a small field and meadow.

Modification drafts

The modification drawing of the buildings on the plot from 1913 was drawn by Arvi Leikari. The plot had a residential building along Pappilankatu and a combined residential and outbuilding, as well as a small outbuilding in the yard on the western side of the plot. Now it was decided to add an additional wing to the second residential building on Eteläpitkäkatu and to extend the porch on the courtyard side into a kitchen. At the same time, the residential part of the second building was to be changed and the outbuilding part was to be extended on the courtyard side. The formerly semi-detached building now had two separate apartments, one with two rooms and a kitchen, the other with a room and a kitchen and a store room in the corner of the building. The second building now had a room and kitchen instead of a bakery. Three storage rooms and a latrine were added to the timber-framed outbuilding. Both buildings were given horizontal planking and Art Nouveau window linings. The gate also had a similar design.

In 1953, the residential building was converted into a space suitable for the Free Church. There had been a second shop door on the South Long Street side and display windows on both sides of the street, one larger and the other two tall and narrow. The shop windows were converted to standard T-shaped windows and the second shop door was removed. All the rooms on the south side will be combined into a single parish hall. Two rooms and a kitchen were left on the side facing Pappilankatu. A toilet was also added to the building. The furnace heating was retained. In 1977, the facilities were modernised. In 1990, an old-style gate was added to the roof.

Current Situation

Building on the South side of the street
Short-cornered residential building, now Vapaakirkko, horizontal planking and Art Nouveau-style panelling of windows in 1913 (Arvi Leikari), saddle roof

Building facing Pappilankatu
Short-cornered dwelling and outbuilding, horizontal timbering in 1913, saddle roof

The gate has been renovated to match the 1913 design.