UNESCO World Heritage Sites


The house belonged to bourgeois’s widow Maija Lockberg in 1800. She also owned a field, a meadow, a food shed, a drying barn, a barn, a waterfront shed and a loading dock, as well as ship’s shares and a warehouse.

Modification drafts

The oldest alteration drawing is from 1886, which shows a residential building on the plot along Kauppakatu, another residential building along Pappilankatu and an outbuilding facing Vanhankirkonkatu. This outbuilding was joined by a wing facing the western boundary of the plot. The residential building facing the shopping street is a semi-detached house with an additional chimney at one end. Now, on the courtyard side, a new kitchen, an adjoining porch and a separate long veranda were to be built. The wing facing the vicarage has a narrower section with two rooms. The second room was now to be separated from the hallway. The extension was a wider section with a room with a separate entrance, perhaps a storeroom. There were two windows on the roof side of the room and double doors on the courtyard side. There was also a baker’s pantry with a sauna and a small pantry next to it. There is a porch in front of the bakehouse. Now the building was to be extended with a hall, four chambers, a kitchen and a hallway, with a central hall, i.e. a hall in the middle with chambers on either side of it on both the courtyard and street side. The new part also includes a porch. The exterior was also being renovated. The stables and the barn, with a latrine between them, and also a barn, a wood room, a sleigh room and a storeroom.

The façades of the residential buildings are shown as horizontal. The framing of the hexagonal windows is in the smith style and ends in a lily motif. The pilasters are also decorated. At the top of the roof, the attic has vertical moulding with a decorative edging the bottom.

In 1900, an additional room was planned for the residential building on Kauppakatu in the courtyard. It would be connected to a commercial building on the roof side, which would have a display window. A small bay window would replace the porch that had been included in the earlier plan. On the drawing, the windows were indicated as cruciform and framed in the neo-renaissance style. The window was divided horizontally into two parts. The building had horizontal planking, as in the previous plan. The 1906 plan for the fireplace alteration shows that the chamber had been made, but the shop door and display window were left unopened. There was also a plan from the same year showing another new chamber on the side of the yard to replace the former porch. Now a new porch was needed in front of the kitchen entrance and another entrance to the hallway. A bay window had to give way for the entrances.

Even before the last changes to the main building, the row of buildings along Pappilankatu had been thoroughly altered. The plan dates from 1905 and was drawn up by Arvi Leikari. The building had increased in width on the courtyard side, and large rooms had been added. A commercial building had been added at the corner of the Kauppakatu, with display windows. The long side had pediments in the centre and the T-shaped windows had a lot of framing with fretwork. Below the windows was a diagonal motif.

In 1924, the wooden residential building along Kauppakatu is replaced by a new stone building. The plans were drawn up by architect Niilo Niemi. The Länsi- Suomi building was attached to the wooden building along Pappilankatu and the premises were connected by a door. The new building has two floors, but the basement is also fully occupied. On the ground floor there were shop and office premises, on the second floor apartments and in the basement a boiler room and storage rooms. The large apartment also had a bathroom. The façade of the building was of a restrained twentieth-century classicism. The windows on the street level were large, while those on the residential floor were divided into small squares. Above the central windows was a row of arches. The attic windows were rounded. Very soon, in 1928, the attic was also converted to residential use. In the 1930s, the printing press expanded into the middle floor and occupied part of the residential space. In 1947, all the attic spaces became available and the roof slab on the courtyard side was raised to make the building three stories high.

In 1965, the magazine and printing house premises were converted into a shop. Rauman Rauta housewares department was placed on the street level of the stone building. A small Länsi-Suomi office was left in the corner of the wooden building, while the other spaces became warehouses.

In 1983, there was a desire to change the premises again. The architectural firm B. Casagrande from Turku was the designer. The rooms in the wooden building were converted into small shops and a corridor was added in the middle of the building. A café, a shop and a kiosk were added to the street level of the stone building. The attic of the wooden building was used as staff quarters. One apartment was left in the attic of the stone building and the rest was used as office space. Later, the wooden building was converted into a restaurant.

Current situation

Commercial building on the corner of the plot
Originally a short-cornered residential building, now a commercial and warehouse building, neo-renaissance lining from 1905 (Arvi Forsman), pediment, display windows, saddle roof

Stone building
two-storey, plastered stone house from 1924 (Niilo Niemi).