UNESCO World Heritage Sites


According to the 1800 tax list, the house was owned by the bourgeois Joseph Reilander. He also owned a field, a meadow, a food shed, a share in a drying barn and a barn, a waterfront shed and a loading dock. He also owned shares in a ship.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1847 by the chaplain Carl Hacklin. There were three buildings on the site at the time: the main building on the Kauppakatu and Anundilankatu, an outbuilding on Anundilankatu as an extension of the residential building, and a small residential building on the eastern boundary of the site attached to the main building. Most of the yard was a fenced garden. The main building was built in 1820, boarded up only at the corners and painted red. There were eleven four-paned windows. The buildings had pitched roofs. The main building had a covered porch, two hallways, two halls and three chambers, a baking room and two storerooms. There was a vaulted cellar under the building. The entrance hall had a double door with a window above it. The outer door was a double door with a slatted door and a window above it. The external doors were semi-transomed. There were also two board doors and four cupboard doors. There were also two board doors to the attic stairwell. Five rooms had paper wallpaper, baseboards, skirting boards and a ceiling moulding. One room had a 1 1/4 cubic foot high boarded panel. All paneling and moldings are oil painted. The tiled stoves were two square, and glazed in brown, one square, one column and one round. The exterior was made of new materials in 1845. The unplanked building is painted red. It has a coach house, a woodshed, a stable, a barn and a chalet. The small residential building is an old bakery. It has two windows.

The 1852 inspection states that since taking out fire insurance, the main building has been boarded up to the gate and painted with oil paint. The windows had been replaced with larger six-paned ones. Under the pastor’s widow, Sofia Hacklin, in 1862, the bakery building on the side of the yard was demolished and a fence was built in its place.

In 1876, the pastor’s widow took out a new insurance policy on the house because a new bakery building had been built on the plot. It had been built in 1863 and was unpainted and unplanked. In addition to the bakery, the rooms included a chamber with a tiled stove. The building also included a porch. The new bakery building is located in the inner part of the plot, close to the outbuilding and partly within the garden fence. The main building is said to have had two porches at the same time. It turns out that the porch of the demolished residential building had been converted into a basement entrance on the site of the demolished building, which was not insured.

In 1893, a new insurance policy is taken out by the then owner of the house, sea captain J. H. Ståhlsberg. The main building is now listed as planked and painted with oil paint and covered with an asphalt roof. There are five living rooms and two kitchens and a entrance hall. The old dormitories have been converted into a kitchen. The building has been rebuilt with a new stone foundation of wedged stones, and four new porcelain stoves, The windows had been replaced with larger and more modern ones. One room has been made into a business room with a corner entrance and stone stairs. The floors, ceilings and some of the doors had also been replaced. The interior has also been painted and wallpapered. A partially new outbuilding has been built on the courtyard side. Part of the former bakery, which served as the basement entrance hall, is now part of a new storage building, built partly of logs and partly of boards. The building is thatched and painted with oil paint. The building has four storage rooms. The 1863 lean-to building is now painted in red paint and still has a pitched roof. The outbuilding facing Anundila Street had not undergone any major changes. The fence facing Vanhankirkonkatu is painted in water paint and has a gate. The slightly reduced garden area is surrounded by an oil-painted fence. In addition to the berry bushes, the garden is said to have a few fruit and leaf trees.

In 1906, renovation work was underway that required additional insurance.

Modification drafts

The oldest modification drawing of Anundila is by John Fredr. John Lindegren in 1892. There was a residential building at the corner of Anundilankatu and Kauppakatu, with an extension of the building on the outside facing Anundilankatu. The second outbuilding was on the side of the Kauppakatu and there was a small outbuilding in the middle of the yard. Part of the courtyard was enclosed by a garden. The conversion involved opening a shop door at the corner of the residential building and building a new kitchen and two entrances on the courtyard side. The outbuilding on the Kauppakatu side of the shop had a log cabin at the gateway, with a single plank extension. Now a new plank barn and a new log dormitory were built. The façade drawing shows that the storeroom and the residential building on the side facing Kauppakatu were still under the same roof. The whole façade was to be transformed into a prestigious neo-renaissance façade. It was also to have cross-paned windows in the style of the residential part, and all the windows were to have the same decorative moulding. The gate was also in the same style. The exterior of the building was vertically planked.

In 1905, they want to extend the row of outbuildings on the eastern boundary of the site to Vanhankirkonkatu. There will be a window at the street end and the end will resemble the end of a residential building.

The modification drawing by Onni von Zansen dates from 1906. The outbuilding facing Anundilankatu is to be replaced by a residential part. At the same time, the bakery building in the courtyard and the latrine to the side of it will be demolished. A different extension to the outbuilding on the eastern boundary of the plot is now proposed than a year earlier. The outbuilding would be built of stone and would include a cattle shed and a latrine. The commercial building at the corner of the residential building will be extended and will have a display window on both sides of the roof. The fireplaces in the rooms will be replaced. Kuninkaankatu storeroom and the associated outbuilding will be separate. A gate will be located between the storeroom and the residential building. The gate and the façades of the residential building are in Art Nouveau style. The upper part of the T-shaped windows is divided into three parts by curved mullions. The window surround mouldings and the decoration of the pilasters structuring the walls are in Art Nouveau style. Above the corner door there is a small tower arch and a pediment on the long Anundilankatu façade. The pediment will have a tripartite window, above which, as at the end of the building, there will be a tripartite attic window. The display windows will also be tripartite. The attic part of the long sides will retain the neo-renaissance decoration, and the same theme will be continued in the new part of Anundilankatu. Otherwise, the lining of the building will be replaced with narrow horizontal planking. The tripartite design will be abandoned.

In 1908, the stone outbuilding is extended to Vanhankirkonkatu. Windows are added to the end wall. The new part will have a pent roof. In addition, there will be a small, slatted, pulp-roofed wing with the same roof as the old one on the Vanhankirkonkatu side. The new outbuilding will have a discreetly Art Nouveau style. Drawings by L. Ahti. The following year, a small porch was added to the residential building on the Vanhankirkonkatu side, with access to the street. It was faithful to the Art Nouveau style.

In 1914, it was proposed to convert the macasin on the side of Kauppakatu into a commercial building. The Art Nouveau-style exterior and the associated gate were designed by Jalmari Karhula. Unlike Zansen’s charming sculptural plant ornaments, Karhula’s subjects are of a crude national romanticism. The gate is inspired by the Naula’s Gate, for example.

In 1918, the building houses the Rauma Rauta shop. The premises were extended and combined. Arvi Leikari designed the shop windows on both the Kauppakatu and Anundilankatu sides. The window frames and the pilasters dividing the walls follow the Karhula Art Nouveau style. In 1920, the attic space was taken over and the raised roof was given the features of a lattice roof.

In 1932, central heating was installed and a boiler room, storage and archive rooms were dug in the basement.

In 1958, the details of the building’s façade were cut back and the entrances were pulled inside, as was the custom of the time. The display windows became single-pane and the other windows were divided horizontally into two parts. The framing of the windows became very simple. The shop areas were further connected and the basement was extended. In the 1960s, the storage buildings in the courtyard were renovated.

The gradual changes in commercial property have continued. The attic space has been put to more precise use, including raising the roof slabs on the courtyard side. In 1983, a large wooden storage building was constructed on the eastern side of the site. This was accompanied by a new high gate on the side facing the Kauppakatu, which bears the marks of the gate designed by Karhula in his day. The plans were drawn up by Markus Bernoulli.

Current situation

Residential building
The short-cornered residential and commercial building dates from the early 19th century, on the side facing Kauppakatu, with late ribbed horizontal planking in the courtyard. On the Anundilankatu side there are features of the Neo-Renaissance lining designed by John F. Lindegren in 1892 and the Art Nouveau façade designed by Onni von Zansen in 1906.

External building
The granary was made of brick and board. The newest part is from the 1980s (Markus Bernoulli).

The large drive gate is from the 1980s.