UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1800 the land was owned by Carl Wahlman, a blacksmith. His other real property was an old barn. The landlord was considered poor.

Modification drafts

The 1908 modification drawing suggests that the building had previously been used only as living quarters, with a baker’s room and a pantry. As an extension, there were outbuildings in the same building. According to the alteration drawing, after the renovation the building was to have two chambers and, between them, a baking room with an oven occupying a third of the room. The living quarters were extended by a two-room shed and barn. A new brick partition was proposed between the living quarters and the outbuilding. In addition, a small board porch was added in front of the bakery and another in front of the cattle shed. Here was not only the entrance to the barn section, but also a latrine. The building was also raised and given a neo-renaissance style lining and gate.

The barn part and the shed at the back of the plot burnt down during the Second World War. The porch was enlarged and a toilet was added in 1971. The bread oven had been destroyed earlier, but the wood stove and the tin oven in the second chamber were also abandoned. In the 1990s, the building was extended with a sauna. Otherwise, the exterior had been preserved. A new gateway was also built as part of the renovation. The plans were drawn up by Jukka Koivula in 1996.

Current situation

Residential building
Short-cornered residential building from the 19th century, neo-renaissance renovation in 1908 (Arvi Leikari), saddle roof, end facing the street

A new grand gate designed by Arvi Leikari in 1908, it was bigger and taller than the old one.