UNESCO World Heritage Sites


In 1756 the land was owned by Niilo Åsberg. In 1800 the house was owned by the bourgeois Joh. Salhlsén. He also had a small field, a meadow, a food shed and a barn.

Fire insurance

The fire insurance was taken out in 1863 by J. A. Nordberg, a master mariner. The buildings at that time were the main building and the dormitory along Vanhankirkonkatu and the outbuilding at the back of the yard, on the southern boundary of the plot. The main building was old, but had been thoroughly renovated in 1862. The building was unplanked but painted red. The roof was double-pitched. There were five rooms: a hall, three chambers, a baker’s room and a lobby. The granary building, with two storerooms and an attic, was built more recently. The log walls were painted red. The log outbuilding was old and grey. It had a barn, a barn and a chalk house. There was a well in the yard. The entrance to the property was through a sturdy gate.

No changes affecting the fire insurance value of the property occurred until 1892, when the two timber framed timber sheds added to the outbuilding were added to the insurance. The owner of the house was still the same as three decades earlier.

Modification drafts

The 1896 alteration drawing shows that there was a residential building and a separate small building along the street, and an outbuilding at the back of the yard. The intention was to extend the dwelling with a new part, adding two rooms on the street side and a hall and kitchen on the courtyard side. The frame of the new building was slightly wider than the old one. The small building on the street side was demolished and replaced by a new gate. The building was lined with wide horizontal boarding and had six-paned windows. The new gate was drawn in an enclosed and classical style.

Later, the façade of the residential building was lined in a neo-renaissance style according to the design by E. Ikäläinen in 1897, and the entrance hall was also decorated in a neo-renaissance style. In 1908, an extension was made to the courtyard, resulting in two new kitchens and an entrance. The exterior was extended at the same time.

In 1936, a water supply was installed in the kitchen of the residential building. A second water point was installed in the courtyard. A septic tank was built near the outbuilding.

In the 1970s, part of the residential building suffered fire damage. The building was demolished despite opposition. In 1986, a new prefabricated building was erected in its place, following the exterior dimensions of the old building. The commercial building had premises on two floors. The building was designed by Tuula Stolt.

Current situation

Commercial building
New building from the 1980s, designed by Tuula Stolt.