Local Rauma Delicacies
Lapskoussi – lobscouse casserole
Lapskoussi is a traditional food in Rauma, and it has arrived here with seamen. The dish is also known in other European ports. The secret of lobscouse is slowly cooked tender meat, vegetables, and seasoning. Also children like lapskoussi!
You can have lapskoussi in the following restaurants in Rauma:
- Theatre restaurant Ankkuri (Alfredinkatu 2), in summertime on weekdays during lunchtime at 10.45-14
- Restaurant Savila (Vanhankirkonkatu 1), on Fridays during lunchtime at 10.30-17
- Restaurant Villa-Tallbo (Petäjäksentie 178), on Wednesdays during lunchtime at 11-14
- Restaurant Mr. Jones (Valtakatu 5), lapskoussi available every day. Mr. Jones is open Mon-Thu 16-23, Fri 16-02, Sat 15-03, Sun 15-22.
Rauman pipari – Rauma gingerbread is a small sweet delicacy which tastes good with coffee.
You can find Rauma gingerbreads in the following cafes:
- Kontio Café in Old Rauma (Kuninkaankatu 9) and Kontio bakery cafe (Karjalankatu 3). It is also possible to buy the gingerbreads in a gift box as a souvenir.
- Café Prassen (Posellinkatu 6).
Kontio’s widely known vanilla doughnuts melt in the mouth. The doughnuts are baked in summer at the inner courtyard of Kontio Café in Old Rauma, so they will surely be fresh. Kontio Café in Old Rauma (Kuninkaankatu 9) is open Mon-Fri 7.30-17.30, on Sat 8-15, and on Sun 11-16.
Pystökaffee – Coffee kiosk at the market place
Pystökaffee is an excellent way to start a day. It is a popular tradition in Rauma to buy a morning coffee and a doughnut from a coffee kiosk at the market place and enjoy it while you are standing and chatting with other people.